Thursday, January 6, 2011

Home Goals

I was going to post this a few days ago, but then saw that the nester was doing a "goals for your home" linky party today... so I decided I'd wait and join in on the fun. I'm just a linky-partyin' girl this week.

Like I said before, I don't really do resolutions. They're just not my thing. If I make them, I get all stressed and panicked if I fall behind or don't reach them. But goals I can do. Because it's a goal... something you're striving for. If you don't quite make it? It's ok!

This new year has done something to me... I've become slightly obsessed.

All I can seem to do is look for home inspiration.
I've spent so much time lately researching, googling, reading, ooo-ing and ahh-ing over home decorating/design blogs. People are just so creative out there!
My biggest deterrant? Money.

We really just don't have the budget for making major improvements. Although, we are going to be making some before too long (yay for tax returns). We really don't have much of a choice. You see, my husband noticed several months ago that the floor in our kitchen seems to be sinking a tad as you walk towards, well, the sink.
He and several people have gone underneath our house to check it out. No structural damage has been done, but there's still something going on. Also? We have a leaking faucet. We've tried tightening it, and it won't work. Meanwhile, water is gushing out of it and into the crevices of the countertops. You can see where it's starting to expand. Are the two related? Quite possibly. Yep. We're regular rocket scientists over here.

The plus side? We have laminate flooring. It's not bad really... but it's not quite what we want. The wear and tear is starting to show. Little cracks are starting to form, which are driving me nuts. We'd wanted to get some nice tile (clearance section of Lowes of course) after we moved in, but it was definitely one of those "in the future" type purchases.
So we figure, while we're pulling up all of the laminate to check out the subflooring, we might as well put tile down!
That's our big, money-spending project this year. That and the new faucet. To save money, Brad will be doing it all himself, along with some other experienced handymen (my family used to build custom homes, so with all of this knowledge in my kitchen, this won't end in total disaster, thank goodness).
But it won't be happening until April-ish. Patience, Hailey. Patience.

In the meantime, I'm scouring the internet, looking for cheap ways to update our decor. We've been incredibly blessed to receive lots of beautiful hand-me-downs from family. Our livingroom furniture was my mom's old set (and she doesn't buy cheap). However nice it is, I'm thinking of getting a slipcover for the couch. We have a couple of paintings that used to hang in my grandparents' lake house (which has sentimental value). They bought them from the flea market many years ago. My issue is that although I love them, I'm ready to move on from them. They don't quite go with the vision in my head... which I can't quite put into words just yet. I can see it. I just can't explain it yet (just ask my husband).

So.

Goal #1: Find a home for these nice paintings (even if it's just in the attic for awhile) and possibly a slipcover.

Goal #2: Start searching consignment stores, antique shops, and other budget-friendly places for good finds. (fyi, this is so not my thing... I'd much rather see it in the window of pottery barn, save myself the hassle, and buy it there).

Goal #3: Get creative. My friend Anna has an incredible talent for making book wreaths (among other things). I finally got around to looking up the tutorial on Living with Lindsay, and I'm pretty sure I can do it. I do love me some crafts.
As I was putting together an inspiration board for my home, I kept coming back to this picture on the nester's website. I've been pining for that wreath ever since I saw it, but assumed it was purchased at some expensive store somewhere (I know, I should've known better). I was clicking around her site, looking for more ideas when I came across a tutorial... for the wreath. I told her I think I let out a very quiet "hallelujah" as soon as I saw it. I was so incredibly excited.
You'll never guess what it's made out of... coffee filters!! I felt so silly once I read it. I'd been feeling so sorry for myself, because "I never get to have anything nice..." (just kidding)... but really, I wanted that wreath. I'd spent all that time mourning the loss of my beautiful, fluffy, white wreath, that I didn't bother to look it up and see how easy it was to make!


(Both images from the nester's blog)

Goal #4: Flowers. Greenery. Everywhere.
One of the reasons I love NC (where we're from and live) is all of the life surrounding us. We have so many pretty flowers and trees here that I can't ever imagine life without it. But I need to bring some of that inside. Our walls are already a pretty shade of green, so I'm thinking of bringing some hydrangeas in, along with some white flowers of some sort (to go with the wreath!). Once my azaleas and roses start blooming, you better believe they'll be getting put on my dining room table this year!

Goal #5: On that note, I want to plant more. Our soil killed the hydrangea I tried planting last year (it's too acidic, and I'm still a garden novice). I want to retry, but put it in a huge planter and keep it alive. Also, I want to extend our veggie garden and plant a bigger variety. Good thing the hubby's excited about this one too.

Goal #6: Hang more pictures of our family. We have so many awesome pictures now (thanks to my cool camera my husband got me), especially of my little guy. But I want to do it in a stylish way, not a haphazard way.

Goal #7: Paint our kitchen (a pretty blueish-gray), guest bathroom (pale green), half bath (probably the same as kitchen), loft (soft neutral), and guest room (a lighter shade, but I haven't decided yet). I know, I've got my work cut out for me. I also want to paint our cabinets... all of them. I want them all to be white with glass knobs.

Goal #8: Make my home more "home-y". Simplify. Light candles. Bake bread. Have freshly baked cookies sitting on a cake plate in the kitchen (thanks to Edie for that idea). Find a way to stay on top of things like dishes and laundry and regular house stuff. Stay organized, so my husband can come home to something relaxing. Create an ambience of peace and comfort for my family.

Goal #9: Do all of this while simultaneously getting ourselves out of some credit card debt (we're all about being debt-free, but we had some insurance/health issues and had no other choice but to use them... no, the hospital wouldn't work with us). I think it's possible. With some creativity, ingenuity, responsibility, and a lot of prayer... it's certainly do-able.

Goal #10: Have fun. Enjoy the present. Don't be so focused on "what's next" that I forget to enjoy right now.

5 comments:

A Vintage Vine said...

Great goals!!! It is so fun to see everyones ideas for 2011...Thanks for sharing, look forward to seeing your progress!!!

Charbelle said...

I want to see the finished picture of the coffee filter wreath!!! I also wonder if maybe you changed the frames on some of the pictures that you really like if that might make a difference?
I LOVE slip covers!!! You constantly have to straighten them, however, when you have a toddler (or a dog) it means you can easily pull it off and wash it!!I just got one from Kohls that I like a lot and the other one I found at Target forever ago!

team cowan said...

When Zach and I moved in we made a list of all of the things we eventually wanted to do to this house. Paint, tile, knock out walls, ceiling fans, add an upstairs...... It's a big list. And we only let ourselves look at it once a year. It's been so fun to see so many of the things that we've already done. But we still have A TON more to do. I feel like the bedrooms still look like we pretty much just put our stuff in them and that's it. I'm thinking some paint is in our near future. And Zach is starting to get that itch too, so I'm pretty excited. I'll look forward to see what you come up with in your house! I'm thinking tile must be the hardest decision ever. It's so permanent! Yikes!

Anonymous said...

good luck with all of your goals and making that wreath! By the end of the year your kitchen might feel kinda new!

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

Well the sweater is slightly off white already--plus, I almost never put it on her--just for photos or here and there. But my sis-in-law is letting us borrow it. I'd NEVER feed her in it. Cuz OH MY that could be trouble.