*Gasp!*
Two posts in one day?!
I know. But the nester is doing a "Home Goals" linky party today. And now that you've seen the sad state of my home, I thought it was only fitting to list a few goals for the year.
I should probably mention that I did this last year. We got to some of the goals, but obviously not all of them. That's okay. They were just ideas and inspiration, really.
So this year, these are the things I'd love to see change in our home...
1. Slipcovers
Brad and I both agree that we need to either reupholster our couches or get some decent slipcovers. Just about everything we own is either hand-me-down or from a consignment shop, including the sofas. They're showing some wear and tear. Plus, as comfy as that brown couch is? I hate the color. I know it's not terrible, but it's not quite the look I'm going for.
2. Paint Paint PAINT.
Brad has already informed me that this probably won't happen for another three months. The paint itself isn't all that expensive, but we need new paint equipment. So after you add it all up, it can get a little pricey. However, we've been in our home for almost 5 years. I'm so sick of the plain white walls, I'm on the verge of taking Noah's paint set and letting him draw on them. At least it'd create some visual interest, right? ;)
3. Accessorize
I'd like to decorate our home with pieces that I absolutely love. Items that are artsy and fun. No more just putting stuff out because I have it, but placing things around the house because they make me happy.
It doesn't have to be expensive... even if it's just repainting an old laminate bookshelf, that would make me happy. I just want our home to reflect our style and who we are. Right now, it's not really cutting it.
4. Hang pictures.
I've taken so many pictures in the last year and a half, yet for some reason, I don't have many of them displayed. What a waste! So I'd like to get them developed and hang them up. Fill up some of that empty wall space.
5. Finish re-doing the office/guest room.
We're still in the process. But it's such a disaster area right now that I'm ready to get it done and over with. Hopefully that will happen in the next couple of days.
Love these colors...
via
6. Pressure wash the house.
It needs it.
7. Convince my husband not to have an opinion.
Just kidding. Sort of. It's just hard to get the house looking the way I'd like it to when I have a husband who continually fights for an opinion on it all. He wants his MASSIVE American flag pinned to the wall. Seriously, our house isn't that big, so it takes up the entire wall. I don't mind him sharing ideas with me. In fact, every time we look for inspiration for our home, we agree on 99% of what we like. But when it comes to actually executing the ideas? He fights tooth and nail saying he doesn't get a say in how we decorate. Even though he just agreed on what we were envisioning.
*sigh*
Marriage is so fun.
8. Get Noah's stuff organized.
My dad is actually helping us with this one. After Christmas, Noah's toys and books started to accumulate in odd places around the house. I asked my dad to help us out (he used to build custom cabinets/furniture on the side when I was younger). Since space is an issue, I asked him to build us something like this:
via
I'm really excited about it!
9. Fix the plumbing in Noah's bathroom.
There's a leak somewhere. When I let the water out, it leaks into the ceiling below the bathtub. Noah has been using our garden tub for the last few months, and even though I don't mind, it'd be nice for all of Noah's toys and things to be back in his own bathroom. Plus it's a lot easier to bathe him in the smaller tub. And if we have a guest over, they have to use our shower.
This is on Brad's "must do" list, actually.
10. Learn to love where we are right now.
I do feel like we spend too much time anticipating the future. What our next house will look like. What color we'll paint our kitchen. When we'll have enough money to get check some of these goals off our list. And while it's fun to dream, we continually have to remind ourselves that we need to enjoy the moment. Because the more you have? The more complicated life seems to become sometimes. Living simply certainly isn't a bad thing, and it's good to keep our priorities in check.
But oh is it fun to dream...
So this year, these are the things I'd love to see change in our home...
1. Slipcovers
Brad and I both agree that we need to either reupholster our couches or get some decent slipcovers. Just about everything we own is either hand-me-down or from a consignment shop, including the sofas. They're showing some wear and tear. Plus, as comfy as that brown couch is? I hate the color. I know it's not terrible, but it's not quite the look I'm going for.
2. Paint Paint PAINT.
Brad has already informed me that this probably won't happen for another three months. The paint itself isn't all that expensive, but we need new paint equipment. So after you add it all up, it can get a little pricey. However, we've been in our home for almost 5 years. I'm so sick of the plain white walls, I'm on the verge of taking Noah's paint set and letting him draw on them. At least it'd create some visual interest, right? ;)
3. Accessorize
I'd like to decorate our home with pieces that I absolutely love. Items that are artsy and fun. No more just putting stuff out because I have it, but placing things around the house because they make me happy.
It doesn't have to be expensive... even if it's just repainting an old laminate bookshelf, that would make me happy. I just want our home to reflect our style and who we are. Right now, it's not really cutting it.
4. Hang pictures.
I've taken so many pictures in the last year and a half, yet for some reason, I don't have many of them displayed. What a waste! So I'd like to get them developed and hang them up. Fill up some of that empty wall space.
5. Finish re-doing the office/guest room.
We're still in the process. But it's such a disaster area right now that I'm ready to get it done and over with. Hopefully that will happen in the next couple of days.
Love these colors...
via
6. Pressure wash the house.
It needs it.
7. Convince my husband not to have an opinion.
Just kidding. Sort of. It's just hard to get the house looking the way I'd like it to when I have a husband who continually fights for an opinion on it all. He wants his MASSIVE American flag pinned to the wall. Seriously, our house isn't that big, so it takes up the entire wall. I don't mind him sharing ideas with me. In fact, every time we look for inspiration for our home, we agree on 99% of what we like. But when it comes to actually executing the ideas? He fights tooth and nail saying he doesn't get a say in how we decorate. Even though he just agreed on what we were envisioning.
*sigh*
Marriage is so fun.
8. Get Noah's stuff organized.
My dad is actually helping us with this one. After Christmas, Noah's toys and books started to accumulate in odd places around the house. I asked my dad to help us out (he used to build custom cabinets/furniture on the side when I was younger). Since space is an issue, I asked him to build us something like this:
via
I'm really excited about it!
9. Fix the plumbing in Noah's bathroom.
There's a leak somewhere. When I let the water out, it leaks into the ceiling below the bathtub. Noah has been using our garden tub for the last few months, and even though I don't mind, it'd be nice for all of Noah's toys and things to be back in his own bathroom. Plus it's a lot easier to bathe him in the smaller tub. And if we have a guest over, they have to use our shower.
This is on Brad's "must do" list, actually.
10. Learn to love where we are right now.
I do feel like we spend too much time anticipating the future. What our next house will look like. What color we'll paint our kitchen. When we'll have enough money to get check some of these goals off our list. And while it's fun to dream, we continually have to remind ourselves that we need to enjoy the moment. Because the more you have? The more complicated life seems to become sometimes. Living simply certainly isn't a bad thing, and it's good to keep our priorities in check.
But oh is it fun to dream...


8 comments:
you've got some great goals my dear! can't wait to see what you do. love the bookshelf idea! and how nice to have a handy dad to help!
Wonderful goals! I love your inspiration pic for your son's room. We too have a lot of organizing to do around our house. Kids bring with them a lot of clutter! Visiting from The Nester!
I am exhausted just reading this - my favorite is #7 - why oh why do our Hubs feel the need to insert unwanted opinions?!
Would love for you to link up on Jan 31 to our multi blog link party - Imagine the Impossibilities Challenge.
http://www.eclecticallyvintage.com/4/post/2012/01/imagine-the-impossibilities-challenge.html
I am working on purging and organizing 16 years worth of "stuff" in my basement (scary)!
Hope to see you there and following along!
Kelly
Hi, I'm also visiting from The Nester. You've got some great goals. Love the office inspiration. And the nursery shelves are gorgeous. Can't wait to see the finished product.
That turquoise and red together? LOVE.
Hi found you at the nester's-good luck with your goals too!I'm your newest follower- Stop on by to visit!!
Those are some great home goals. I found you over at The Nester. Hope you will drop by and say hi.
I am visiting from the Nester too - love that nursery vision. Almost makes me want to have another one. Good luck to you!
Post a Comment