Saturday, February 28, 2009

Don't Mess with a Pregnant Woman

Tomorrow, Brad and I are going to a family reunion for my dad's side, and if nobody eats the stuff I've made, I think I might cry.

I made potato salad, which is my late grandmother's recipe, and in the recipe, it didn't say how to cook the potatoes... bake them in the oven? boil them in a pot? It just said "4 cups cubed potatoes". See, this is what happens when you go by a church or school recipe book. All the little old ladies know exactly what to do, and they all assume that future generations will know what to do too. So I decided to cube them and bake them in the oven. Turns out that might not have been right, because some of the cubes started to stick to the pan... and they smelled like tater tots. I still used them, though, and I just tried it, and it tasted pretty good. So I think I pulled it off.

Then, I've made a dessert, which is my other grandmother's recipe. The family calls it "chocolate yum-yum", but it's basically a layer of cool whip/cream cheese/powdered sugar, then chocolate pudding, then another layer of cool whip all on top of a crunchy crust. It's really good. However, I got distracted when Brad came home, so I forgot to put the powdered sugar in the first layer mix and then went ahead and spread it onto the crust. There was no way to save it.

So I had to start over.

Brad's now asleep in bed, and I'm waiting for the crust to cool.

Like I said, if nobody eats this stuff, I think I might cry.

In other news, I told off my boss the other day.
To any of my friends out there who haven't experienced pregnancy and the oh-so-fun mood swings, let this be a warning to you... and to anyone who might live with you.

Ok, so Brad and I had a little argument the night before and going against our beliefs, we went to bed mad... or at least I did. So I woke up, still mad. I went to work... still mad. My boss picks that day of all days to jump on me about ring sizers. It's a long story, but she bought all the stores new ring sizers and me one too. However, my current ring sizer matched the others, so I didn't see the need to unwrap and use the new one. So she got all on me about how she wanted me to use the new one. I tried explaining, and then I felt my voice cracking so I quit. What's so humiliating is that she does it in front of everyone else in the room. Anyways, I stayed even more mad for the rest of the day until she called me in her office and proceeded to say she didn't mean to make me mad about the sizers. I then went off and said how I don't appreciate being attacked at work, and that if she has a problem, all she has to do is come to me and ask me about it. She doesn't have to go embarrassing me in front of everyone and I didn't think it was fair for her to treat me like that, when I didn't do anything wrong and I try my hardest all the time to do my best.

I'm not going to lie, it felt great. It was a tiny victory for all the people she's been mean to in the past, including me. Of course, that's not normally my plan of action. I usually let it roll off of me, and just get over it and forgive her anyway. After all, I have other things to deal with in my life besides stupid things like that.
I feel kinda bad about it now, so I'll probably write her an email at some point to apologize for being disrespectful.

Like I said, don't mess with a pregnant woman.

There's some happy news, though!

Friday morning, before Brad had to go to work, he got up early, kissed me goodbye, and told me he'd be back soon. He came back about 20 minutes later with an arm full of Waffle House!! He surprised me with breakfast in bed. He's so sweet. And it's great having a husband that knows all my favorite things. :)

Also, they're calling for snow again! This time, the front is coming from the South, which always means that we get more snow. They're only expecting 1-3 inches, but I'll take anything. I just like watching it.

And that's it for now. I'll let you know if anyone ends up eating my food, or if I end up crying at the family reunion. :)

2 comments:

bashtree said...

WOW!!

Dani In NC said...

You live on a street full of women. You could have asked one of us! The potato salad recipe is the perfect ice-breaker. Of course, I'm a bit antisocial so I probably would have looked it up on the internet :-). (BTW, you boil potatoes for most potato salad recipes.)

Anyway, I hope that someone tasted your treats at the family reunion.