Thursday, December 3, 2009

Ok, fine, here's the rest...

I was debating whether or not to go on with the story, just because I didn't want to drag it out and also, the end to "how we got together" was kind of a downer. I figured our 10 year anniversary blog probably shouldn't include sadness. But now I have you in suspense, and since our friend Jill has asked me to continue, I will.

I've actually been going through all of my old diary entries and trying to write out our story for Noah. Obviously, 10 years of dating/marriage + the 7 years we were friends before that leaves alot of history to go through.

Anyways, I'll at least get to the end of the beginning for you and maybe go on from there? Again, I don't want to be boring. I mean, to me, our little history is interesting, but who knows to the outsider?

This is going to take me awhile to get it all out (especially with a baby), so I'm doing installments. :)

So here goes...

Not a Normal Start:


I left Brad's that day and my head was spinning. Like I said before, I was dating a guy (nothing very serious, though), but I'm not a cheater. However, I had been totally in love with Brad since I was like 12 years old, so I wasn't about to pass up a great kiss with him.

Anyways, I was trying to figure out what I was going to do. I was also scared silly, because Brad and I getting together was not exactly an ideal situation. It's not a secret that since he was Mormon and I'm Christian (I know, I know, my LDS friends... I'm a non-mormon Christian... how's that? haha), that our dating was not really received well on either end. I didn't know how my parents would take it. They weren't really fans of me dating period, so wait till they heard this piece of news. However, my friends would be so happy for me... at least the ones that had to listen to me go on and on about him for so long. Maybe they were just happy I'd finally shut up about him?

Anyway, I was so happy. I, of course, called my best friends and told them the whole play-by-play.
That night, Brad and I talked. He told me how I'd always been the one for him, and he's always loved me. I was SO happy.

I always wanted to make Brad happy. I wanted to date him, marry him, and do everything I could to make him the happiest guy ever. I wanted to be there for him through the good and the bad. No exceptions. I was getting a little ahead of myself for barely 17, don't you think? Well, it wasn't long before I had to assume that role...

The very next morning, Brad's mom called to let us know that his oldest brother had lost his battle with cancer. She asked if I would come over and be with Brad, because he could use some friends right now.

I was slightly still on my first-kiss high, but I was also heartbroken for him. I couldn't wait to go over there and comfort him. I pictured us talking things out and hanging out with his family.

Turns out Brad's mom also called our best bud, Nick, who lived next door to me. I met him outside and we walked together down to Brad's. Brad answered the door and was eerily chipper for someone who just lost his brother. This was really confusing to me. I had known Brad for a long time, and he'd always told me exactly what was on his mind. Somehow this didn't seem right. We walked in, and I immediately realized, I was not the only girl there. In his kitchen was his mom and a young blond washing dishes with who I figured was her mother. Her name was Katie.

Ok, I was already getting territorial, and I had no reason to be that way. I knew Brad had other friends outside of our neighborhood, but the only ones I'd ever met were guys. Anyway, I shrugged off the jealousy and went in to be a good whatever-I-was to him. Nick and I grabbed some dust cloths and starting dusting the livingroom. Brad talked to us a little bit, then went back in the kitchen with Katie and the moms. I was talking to Nick and then heard Brad say, "It's nice to see you washing dishes with my future mother-in-law..." My head snapped up and I turned around to see him with his arm around Katie's mom, with Katie grinning at them.

Alright. I HAD to keep calm. His brother just died. Hailey, his brother JUST died, and he's gone crazy. He's not thinking. You two finally kissed yesterday and he knows that. I looked at Nick and rolled my eyes. I'd never been more thankful that Nick was there in my whole life. Had he not, Katie might've left that day with no hair. I know, she didn't know. It's not her fault. Blah blah blah. I was 17 and in love. Give me a break.

We all hung out afterwards, and Brad was obviously enjoying teasing Katie and I. I now realize he wanted to see us jealous. He was 16. He was stupid. He was hurting. I cut him some slack. Nick, Katie, and her mom all eventually left. Brad and I sat in his room, and we talked for a little bit about nothing. Then he wanted to kiss me again. I look back at all this now and see how confused this kid really was. He was all over the place and didn't know how to handle it.
I left his house that day just as confused as he was. Still totally in love, but I knew I was going to have to take a backseat for now. He needed to get passed this, and I would be there for him as best as I knew how. And that meant not getting upset with him and being a drama queen.

The funeral was a couple days later. My mom took me. It didn't take me long to find Katie and her family. They were behind us. I tried to ignore them.

Instead, I focused on Brad's family in the front row. I couldn't imagine how his parents must be feeling. Then I saw a small pretty woman with blond hair pulled back wearing all black. I realized this was his wife, Meg. I hurt most for her. I couldn't imagine losing the love of my life like that.

The funeral was good. Kind words were said. Then his sister got up there and talked about how Rob wanted to give Brad his heart. For those of you who don't know, Brad has a congenital heart defect. While I wasn't close to Rob, this definitely got me. My mom loved Brad like her own son, and she cried more than I did at that.

I watched the family walk out. I asked my mom if we could go to the burial site. She said we could. As we walked out, I watched Brad get into the limo with his family. I wanted so badly to give him a big hug.

Then from behind, I heard a familiar voice. "Hailey!"

It was Katie.

She put her arm around me and said, "Let's go get our boy." I appreciated her trying to be nice. It was good to at least see she didn't feel the same about me as I certainly did about her (or so I thought). Despite this, I thought to myself, "Our boy? Um... I'm not sharing."

We went to the burial site, and I tried to get my mom to let me stay to talk to Brad afterwards. She said no that we had to leave. As we drove off, I watched as a group of girls surrounded him; Katie at the front laughing.



Brad and Rob



ps. don't worry, it gets happier after this. :)

2 comments:

Jillian said...

You do love me...you really do!! LOL
I love these stories!!! I have heard about you since I was 15, but never knew who you were or how you had taken Brad by the heart and made him so crazy for you!!
I'll be back for more......
:)

Anna said...

Hailey!! You better hurry up and finish these installments! This is making me want to do one:)