Monday, August 9, 2010

Birthday Fun: Day 1

I am exhausted.

I'm not even sure where to begin?
How about Friday? Noah's actual birthday.

Noah was all smiles when he woke up that morning, especially when I walked in chiming, "Good morning, birthday boy!!" He has no idea what I just said, but he knew it was something great... as demonstrated in his happy jumps (he loves to bounce in his crib... or on our bed, or on the floor... bouncing in general is SO fun to him). Brad also took most of the week off, so he was there with me to greet him. That was super exciting in itself. Noah loves his daddy.


My parents (and Madison) were so incredible this week. They came over Thursday to help me get everything ready for all of Noah's parties. Madison helped a TON with Noah. She plays with him, feeds him, reads with him... anything to keep him happy and occupied while I get stuff done. You mamas out there know how awesome it is to have just one extra person there to help. Imagine three! Noah adores his family, but he and Madison have a special little bond. She's his buddy.
My mom and I spent so much time cleaning. It was so fun. I know I'm not the only crazy person out there that loves cleaning? Right? It's just wonderful to look around afterwards and see a spotless home. Brad thinks I'm nuts, but it's almost like I can breathe better. It's probably all mental, since I'm the one that just dusted and everything. But I swear the air feels cleaner.
Art (my stepdad) and Brad worked outside. Our yard looks so awesome (aside from the dead spots of grass, no thanks to the awful heat and our dogs).

So back to Friday morning. I was so thankful my parents helped, because this meant we were able to spend all day with Noah, just having fun and not stressing. Brad had the best idea. After breakfast, we took him to Build-A-Bear. It was surprisingly very empty and quiet (perfect for a baby, otherwise he might've been freaked out by it all). I walked him up and down the row of animals, waiting to see if he would focus in on one. Believe it or not, he actually did. He pointed to the sweetest, softest bear. Just to make sure this wasn't just a "random reach", Brad and I grabbed a couple others to see if he'd like them just as much. Brad got a panda down. I picked a puppy dog (one at a time... I promise, we weren't just randomly shoving animals in our baby's face). He pushed them away. Then I walked him down the row again, and he wanted the bear. So he really did pick out his first birthday present of the day. He loved the thingy that spins the cotton around. Everything else he was kinda "whatever" with. We picked out a little "Happy Birthday" shirt for his bear, and named him Freckle (after Brad's "heart bear" that he had when he was a baby).


Afterwards, we took a trip to Target to get some last minute items for his party. We waited to buy buns and things, so they wouldn't go stale by Saturday. Noah held his bear the whole time we shopped.


That night, we had the immediate grandparents over for dinner, dessert, and presents. Noah was utterly and completely baffled that somehow all of his grandparents were in the same room. He kept looking around with wide eyes, trying to figure it all out. We just ordered pizza to keep it simple. As for dessert, we decided to wait on the cake. We figured everyone would want to see him try cake for the first time at his big bash, so we figured we'd let him try ice cream instead. Keep in mind, this baby has never tasted sugar... at least not anything outside of what's found in fruit.
Noah tried his ice cream, and he seemed to like it. We've made the switch to whole milk, so it was similar in consistency. He made a face at the sweetness, but he opened his mouth for more. My dad did make the comment that it probably didn't matter what we fed him, he'd still eat it. Which is true. When he was done, he didn't scream for more. He was still hungry, so I gave him some rice cereal (mixed with milk), and he ate it exactly the same as if it were the ice cream. So yeah, he's not a picky eater. So much so that as long as it's edible, it's cool with him.

He got some awesome gifts for his birthday.
(ok, this part is a little boring for the rest of you, I know.
This is more for me, so I don't forget. Feel free to mosey on down to the next paragraph...)
Brad and I gave him a xylophone, some books, a couple of dvd's (Elmo, Veggie Tales... shh, don't tell his ped.), and one of those loopdy thingies you see in the waiting room at the doctor's office.
My dad and Desna (stepmom) gave him a lifetime fishing and hunting license, an awesome Italian leather jacket (I know, ridiculous... but it was a major sale they found in Charleston), a Kiawah bucket and shovel for the beach, and a Kiawah t-shirt.
Granny and Granddad (Brad's parents) gave him a couple of books, which he loves. This baby seriously loves to read. When I'm changing him or getting him ready for bed, he'll grab the lotion bottle and study it.
From my mom and Art, he got more books... including a GIGANTIC "Little Engine that Could". Seriously, I think it's the size of our fireplace. They also gave him one of those Precious Moments figurines (a first birthday one with a little boy... my mom collects them), a kit to do his handprint, and a big yellow dump truck that he can ride on! My mom always tends to outdo herself on gifts. She just can't help it. She thinks she's done, but then somehow finds that "perfect extra gift" later on.
It's one of her love languages, I guess.

("But Granddaddy, it's HOT out!")

 

I think we're going to continue on with this tradition (inviting the grandparents over). It gives them each some one-on-one time with Noah without it being too overwhelming for him.

And for his birthday, Noah decided to do one new trick for us: climb the stairs.


I'm so proud of my sweet little guy. He's the cutest thing ever, and I love him so much. Just for being Noah.

"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you."

Dr. Seuss

1 comment:

Charbelle said...

He racked up for his 1st birthday!!! His Happy Birthday bear Freckle is just too cute!! I LOVE veggie tales!!