Friday, August 13, 2010

Flashback Friday: My 1st Job

Ok, so I know most kids their first job in high school, or as soon as they're legally able to work. I had no problem with getting a "real job" then, but I was too busy being a big sister. Taking kids to school, picking them up, making snacks, helping with homework... basically, I was a nanny, but to my own siblings. I got paid, plus I retained a lot of helpful knowledge from those days that's coming in handy right now.

So my first job was when I was 20. Brad had come back from his mission, and his health was still if-y. I landed this part-time deal through my dad. He hired an interior designer for his homes sometimes, and her daughter owned a high-end boutique in the heart of Davidson called j. elle. I loved that girl. She was the best boss I've ever had. She was younger, cool, fun, and didn't freak out about anything. This was just a fun thing for her to do on the side, so if the store had to close early because I was sick, then it was ok with her. How awesome is that??

I'm not sure if was much of a job, really. Davidson is a very sleepy little town. I spent most of the time cleaning, organizing, doing homework, etc. My boss even left magazines for me to look at if I got bored. I only worked Saturdays, which was perfect for me. I was in school, and I was still helping Brad recover from his scary heart ordeal.
(Madison thought she was cool being behind the counter)

My favorite part of the job, though? The clothes.



Most everything in the store was way too expensive for me. But after I would close the store for the day, I would sometimes pick out my favorite dresses and try them on! Seriously, they were made for gorgeous women at least 6' tall... obviously, not me. I'm a measly 5'4", so these cute cocktail dresses that were meant to fall at your knee... yeah, they hung by my ankles. Oh well. It was still fun!
I did buy a few jewelry pieces from them. Brad even snuck in one day and bought me a necklace and earring set. It's still one of my favorite jewelry pieces (among hundreds... I have an accessories problem).

This store really is what got me interested in fashion. They had so many pretty things. I wish I had the money at the time to afford them!

1 comment:

Charbelle said...

What a fun fun job!!! Reminds me of Nitsa's ready to wear section! It's fun to try them on and they are way too expensive so you just know that it's for fun and you won't be buying them. That is so sweet that he got you that necklace and earrings set!!