Thursday, November 4, 2010

whaaaa...???

I think I need to take a photography class. Or just a good ol' Photography for Dummies book might do. Because really, I don't have a CLUE as to what I'm reading. All of the photog pros out there leaving random reviews of lenses, accessories, upgrades, etc use waaaaaayyyy too much fancy smancy photog lingo. I just want to know what to do to make my camera take better pictures in dim light. Or to get a better/sharper image. Or to have fewer blurry moments when my toddler feels the need to dart off in another direction. I feel like I need a frikin manual or something. Does anyone speak "dummy" out there?? Sheesh.

And oh.my.goodness.gracious! are these things expensive. How do the pros even start out?? They can't possibly have an extra $20k just sitting around. So either they have their credit cards maxed or they started out with their rinky-dink, whatever-they-could-afford camera and went from there.
I need a cheaper dream...

4 comments:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

I have the exact same problem with my fancy DSLR camera. The bottom line - they are great for outdoors but indoors you might need to get an external flash to attach.

I've been using my old camera for indoors and my fancy one for outdoors. I'm sort of disappointed and I've tried to read up online but I agree - f-stops and shutter speeds make my mind whirl. I feel like I need a Photography 101 class.

Jess said...

Okay. First. You don't need an external flash in low light. Since you have a Nikon, for now, use the Guide mode for low light settings. That will get you started.

Then. Go to Barnes and Noble. Grab a bunch of photography magazines, and read them for free while you sip some coffee. They have a lot of good info. Plus, if your camera came with a user's guide...read it, over and over and over. It gives great info in basic wording to get your started.

As someone who has taken lots of classes, and could go on and on for days about all the settings, those two things are what i would do the get started. :)

Oh. And 98% of that really expensive equipment? Totaally unnecessary unless you plan on doing an indoor studio.

Dani In NC said...

Our local library has a set of digital photography books by Scot Kelby that ABM liked. I plan to check them out again when C2 gets a digital camera. They are set up in a project format. Each page has a picture, then under it in simple language there are instructions on how to set your camera to get that effect. I think you would like them.

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

Thanks guys!
Dani, I'll definitely be checking those out!