Friday, March 18, 2011

let freedom ring

It's 85+ degrees out today.
It's awesome.
I decided to enjoy this springtime happiness, so Noah and I set out for one of my favorite childhood parks: Freedom Park. They have a cool (real) train that kids can play on (but it was cooler when I was kid... you could actually climb all over the train. I guess some kid came along and hurt himself and ruined it for all future generations). There's a massive playground, plenty of swings, a pond full of birds, and my favorite...
cherry blossoms!




Everyone else in Charlotte wanted to ring in springtime at Freedom too.
Kids were everywhere.
So we skipped the playground, which was totally cool with Noah.
He's more of a wanderer anyway.
We walked the trails, and he was fascinated by the bikes and joggers and dogs of all shape and size. What really got his attention though was the pond. I don't have any pictures of him with the water, because... well... he wanted IN the water. Bad. I made him sit down next to it and told him he could look at it. But obviously, I was trying to reason with a one year old. After he sat down, he started scooching his little rear end towards the edge and was pointing his sneakers towards the water. We didn't stay there long.



We eventually found ourselves a picnic table under a canopy of flowers and watched at the petals fell like confetti (fyi, that's about as poetic as I get... ). It really was perfect.
Best of all, I used some Mary Kay sunblock on Noah today and so far, no reaction.



Right now, little man is snoozing, so I'm off to plant some flowers. Our official date to start planting isn't until April 15th, but I think we'll be alright. I know NC can be all moody with her weather, but I think it's safe to say, frost isn't in the forecast anymore. Yay!
Happy Friday!

(the cherry tree in our yard)

3 comments:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Yeah it's not that warm here yet and we will have many more 40 degree days like today until we get 85. UGH. Why do I live here again?

Those trees are amazing!

Dani In NC said...

All I think about when I hear "Freedom Park" is a line of cars slowly snaking through the park on a Sunday afternoon with their stereos bumpin' and the guys flirtin' with the girls :-).

team cowan said...

I LOVED Freedom Park growing up. We used to go there to watch/listen to The Pops every Sunday in the summertime. Do they still do the Festival In The Park in the late summer? That was always my favorite. And the TRAINS! I was really sad a few years ago when I saw that kids can't climb all over them anymore. Hate it when someone ruins the fun for everyone. I loved exploring all over the trains.