Thursday, May 26, 2011

tornado and parents

We just had a big tornado warning. The three of us, plus the dogs, hung out in the corner of our garage (it was too late to go under the house) where nothing would hit us.
My father-in-law called to let us know about the tornado, to make sure we were prepared and safe. We turned on the news to see the direction (which was headed straight for our house) and times. I saw it was supposed to hit my family after us, so I called to let them know.

They knew. Because they were watching the news.
They knew.
They knew that I would most likely be alone with Noah and a tornado was headed towards us. We never watch the news, so there's no way I would've seen it coming.
And they didn't call.
Not one word.

I'm so freakin annoyed at this. Brad's dad? He calls every time something's up. My parents? Not a peep. Which is really weird, considering how overprotective my mom usually is. Her response? She told me to call her tomorrow so that she can fill me in on my little sister's 8th grade graduation. Clearly, she wasn't concerned.

Ugh.
I get that we're adults and all, but when Noah's grown and I see something life threatening is headed his way? You better believe I'm calling, whether I think he already knows or not.

It's alright mom. Our home was flattened and the dogs flew away, but no biggie. We'll make sure we call to find out how Madison's graduation went tomorrow.

*We're fine. A tornado never actually touched down, but the strong winds and circulating clouds passed right over us. Scary stuff.

2 comments:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

I'm so glad you're ok

Dani In NC said...

Maybe it's because I am twice your age, but I get annoyed when the MIL calls me. Of course she calls about every storm that passes through, as well as every time they say a deranged criminal is in our area. She also expects us to call her whenever we go out of town and call her when we get back. It makes me feel like I'm 13!