Saturday, November 26, 2011

the obligatory Thanksgiving recap

 
We're notorious for jam-packing our holidays. While I'm incredibly blessed to have the majority of our families living within 30 minutes of us, it's difficult trying to fit everyone in. When we got married, Brad and I resolved not to stress ourselves with all the running around, attempting to see every family member on that exact day. Because really, it's impossible to do, especially with a toddler. Ultimately, we'd end up promising to be somewhere, only to either bail or show up incredibly cranky. Nobody wants that.

Before we were married, we'd spend Thanksgiving lunch at my grandparents with my dad's side of the fam, followed by decorating their tree. After lunch, we'd rush over to his parents and try to eat enough to keep from disappointing his mom, yet not too much to where we'd be sick. After that, we'd head on over to my other grandmother's house for dinner with my mom and family, where we proceeded to decorate her tree.
Again, I was so incredibly blessed to have that much family nearby, but really, at some point, something had to give. We'd always end the day feeling gross and exhausted.

So Thanksgiving has changed for us a tad, and it's been nice. We still fit family in, but it's more on our terms now. After all, we're the ones with the baby, so everyone is more than welcome to oblige.

For lunch, we still head to my grandparents' on my dad's side. It's where the most family members gather. Plus, the food is out of this world. All that stuff Paula Deen got famous for? It originated in the kitchens of Southern matriarchs.


We all gather 'round, hold hands, and my dad says the blessing.


Noah's still finicky about trying new food, so he stuck to the more traditional PB&J and sliced apple lunch. He also was hungry before everyone else was ready to eat. He looked awfully tiny sitting at that big table all alone.


 ("Here, Dad. You need to drink more water...")
 


We got in some quality cousin playtime.


(I promise you, those eyes are completely unedited. So pretty)

And of course, guess where Noah wanted to go.


He literally grabbed our hands and led us to the door.


Pretty sure he spent a good half hour out there.



I met up with some friends yesterday (Lori and Jess) and we were discussing how the men in our lives seem to be totally incapable of taking a flattering picture of us. This is half the reason why I'm hardly ever shown on this blog. Also, I'm terrible at the whole stick-your-arm-out-and-smile thing. I always look deep in thought in those pictures. Anyway, all this to say... this is the best shot of me from the whole day.


Yeah.

For dinner, we had Brad's family over. I usually do the cooking, which of course I absolutely love. It's the one time of the year that Brad lets me go nuts and make whatever I want for everyone. See, I love to feed people. It makes me happy. And his family seems to like my food. I sent several plates home with people, so I'll take that as a good sign.
We also had our childhood buddy and his new girlfriend over for dinner. He's practically family anyway, and in my book? The more, the merrier.

Once bellies were full, the party made its way to the back yard where family played football in the dark.

 (don't worry, my niece does have good fashion sense. she borrowed some of B's clothes to play in)

It was pretty cold, but I thought Noah would love going out back and running around with everyone. So Brad and I bundled him up and took him out. We tried to keep him out of the middle of the action. Unfortunately, he really loves football. My sister-in-law's boyfriend went to catch a pass, completely oblivious to the toddler behind him. Not only that, but it was the other team's job to tackle him. Poor little Noah didn't stand a chance.
All of a sudden, I felt like I was in one of those dreams where everything is moving in slow motion, and no matter how fast you try to move, you just can't get there in time. It was one of those moments. Brad yelled for everyone to stop, but it was too late. I watched our little guy get knocked over and take several tumbles before coming to a stop.
Thankfully, Brad swooped in and grabbed him before he got stepped on. He wasn't hurt, but ohmygoodness was he scared. Little man was shaking and crying and totally bewildered as to what had just happened.
And the poor guy that knocked him over. It was his first time meeting us. We assured him Noah was just fine, after he apologized over and over. And then, in true Kemper style, everyone teased him mercilessly.

Other than Noah being totally traumatized, Thanksgiving went off without a hitch. Lots of good food, plenty of laughs, and most of all, being thankful we were together.

And now....

It's officially Christmas Time!!

2 comments:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Noah looked so handsome and his hair is so cute like that! You DID have a jam packed day!

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Awesome thanksgiving!! I can't imagine having THAT many family members in such close proximity! That is so foreign to me. I can see how it can be exhausting but super fun to be all together too. Brinley got a fever and now she has a cold (AGAIN!) so she was pretty cranky the whole week...lovely!