Saturday, July 12, 2008

Don't Drink the Water

So I got stuck closing tonight at the Box, which was ok because Brad was closing at Target tonight, so I spent my free night making a little extra money.

I hadn't closed the store in about a year now. This time last year, I was planning a wedding, looking for a house, and Brad had just started Target. I was working full-time, closing every night, working every Saturday, and never had any time with Brad.

It was funny how much I actually missed being at the store though. There are parts that I hated, obviously. But it was fun doing the stuff I enjoyed again, like talking to all kinds of different people, having friends stop by to say hey, trying to not get tempted to buy anything...



I did get a weird phone call, though. Someone from one of the stores called tonight (and if they happen to read this, it's ok I think it's just funny!!). They asked, "Hey, I have a question about an order" I said, "Oh ok, sure go ahead." "This lady, Pam Leeson, came in and said someone called her that her stuff was here but I don't see it." So I said, "Oh, is it a transfer?" (as in, did we send it from Birkdale to their store). Her reply, "No, it's an engraved order."


Ok, now I know I'm good at what I do. I'm not too shy to admit that. But I also don't memorize every order I get that comes through the office. Also, if I'm at the Birkdale store (not at the office where my engraving stuff would be), how am I supposed to find out anything about this order?


Wow is all I have to say about that.

So the owners are out of town for the next month, which means... well, nothing really. Just that I'm in charge while their gone. I like knowing that they trust me to handle things. It's a good feeling to think people put enough trust in you to run the day-to-day company stuff while they're gone for a month.


In other news, everyone at the store is knocked up.

Everyone keeps saying, "Don't drink the Jewel Box water". Seriously, I bring bottled water. That'd be a scary thing if that's how it really worked. Oops! Bad batch of water. Surprise, it's a boy!


So we had a shower for our very pregnant managers at Birkdale a couple weeks ago, so I thought I'd share some pictures. They're both having girls, which is always fun, because pink was everywhere. And I've decided baby showers are more fun than wedding showers. Because instead of watching someone open up another crock-pot, you get to see a cuddly, pink Winnie-the-Pooh blanket... with teeny bows... and lace...


How can you not smile at that?






Our boss is also pregnant. So with all of these babies popping out everywhere, the inevitable question heads my way, "So, when are you going to have a baby?" Are you kidding? We haven't even been married a year. Heck, I'm still unpacking! No, I understand. I do want little freckly, albino Kemper kids running around here someday, but I think his family have had enough little ones to hold things off for awhile. They've caused enough damage so far. Plus, I've got a few places I'd like to go first. I haven't had a chance like most people to travel alot. The farthest west I've gone are the Carolina mountains. I'd like to see a few things first, and I feel like now is my only chance.


Of course, I'm not one to tell God when I think He should give us a baby, so if there happens to be a surprise someday, I won't mind. But if I can help it, I'd like to hang out with just Brad for awhile. Go see Hawaii, California, New York...




We'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

Meagan said...

speaking of which...you might be asked to work on a pearl necklace order.... :-) the prego manager took the order!