Monday, April 20, 2009

Giving in to the Trends

We have officially planted ourselves a garden.

We caved under the peer pressure, I guess. It feels like just about everyone on our street has some kind of produce growing now. The whole idea intimidated me at first, but then it dawned on me that everyone in my family has always gardened. My grandparents on both sides always grew their own veggies. I remember being a kid, sitting on my grandparents' deck at their lake house and learning how to snap peas. I also used to help my granddaddy pick tomatoes. Actually, when I was little, I really thought it was alot of fun to take perfectly good tomatoes and throw them in the lake. They made a great PLOP sound. haha

Anyways, back to the point...

So I realized that with everyone on my street gardening, and everyone in my family knowing alot about it, how could we go wrong? My dad and my aunt just planted themselves gardens as well. Again... how could we NOT cave??

We have the perfect yard for gardening, since our back yard is so big. We also get LOTS of sun, which the plants love. So over the weekend, Brad built a little garden box while my sister Madison and I dug up a spot for it.

So here is what our garden consists of:
- Corn
- Tomatoes: Big Boy, Bradley, and Roma
- Red Peppers
- Green Bell Peppers
- Jalapenos
- Zucchini
- Squash
- Watermelon
- Pumpkin
- Cucumbers
- Dill
- Cilantro
- Sweet Basil
- Strawberries

Brad also bought us a little fig tree, because he loves fresh figs.

We're hoping this will save us lots of $$ in the end. Fresh herbs are really expensive in the grocery store, so I know we'll get our money's worth on those. We'll just keep our fingers crossed that everything else grows! Either way, I love to garden, and this will be a fun project for me to continue with even after Noah's born. It'll take a good 60 to 75 days for us to grow anything edible (except the herbs, of course).

The great thing about living in the South, though, is that our window of gardening fresh veggies tends to be longer than those in other parts of the US.

Once there's something to show, I'll take pictures and post them. To hold you over, here are a couple from the flower garden we planted in our front yard:







As for baby news, we go Wednesday morning to check out Noah's heart again. Last time his heart was too little and he wouldn't cooperate, so they could only find 3 chambers. Now that he's alot bigger, we should be able to see his heart a little better. Plus, I think it'll be fun to see how big he's gotten.

I'll make sure to keep everyone posted.

4 comments:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Cute yard!!!

I can't wait for the day I get to plant flowers and seeds in my yard.....

Good luck with the baby appt. Everything will go perfect!

My next appt is in a couple weeks. Can't wait. The bebe is supposed to be 3 inches now! Crazy!

Dani In NC said...

You didn't have to cave, you know. It's not like we would have called the homeowner's association on you :-). I hope you enjoy your patch as much as the kids and I enjoy mine.

Dani In NC said...

I'm curious -- are you using a square-foot gardening approach or did you just scatter seeds and pray, like I do?

Doug Sigmon said...

:) WHOA Hailey!

A 'starter' garden you have not! When ya'll go, ya'll go big, right? :)

Let me know if you get your strawberries to grow good...

-Laurina