Saturday, May 16, 2009

Oh yeah...

I completely forgot to mention my Dr's appt I had this week. I went in for the Glucose Screening test, where they test me to see if I have gestational diabetes. All it does is see if you have an elevated blood sugar level, and if you do, you have to come back for a 3 hour test. I was only nervous because I've been craving sweets my entire pregnancy. And no, not just chocolate and bad-for-you type sweets, but I've been living off of fruit and milk, both of which have sugar. Natural or not, both can cause the test to come back with the "elevated" sign.

So we went in and I had to drink this stuff that's kind of like thick Kool-Aid. They gave me 5 minutes to drink it, but I went ahead and tried to down the stuff as quickly as possible (lucky for me, pregnancy hasn't given me an aversion to sugar). I was a little concerned Noah was going to have a massive sugar high (and crash) from it. So anyways, I drank it and had to come back in an hour. We met with our Dr in between for a checkup, and everything was fine. I told her about my swelling, but also told her I've been drinking at least 2 big thermoses of water a day, sleeping on my side, wearing sneakers instead of heels, and she said I was doing all the right things. Apparantly, this is totally normal at this stage, especially since NC is so humid. The only other option I have is to wear supportive hose, and she already knew that wasn't happening. I'll just go through summer with chubby feet before putting those things on. Unfortunately, this seems to remind Brad of his mom (who is diabetic and her feet swell sometimes). What women likes to remind her husband of his mom (and not when it comes to things like cooking)?? So that's a downer.

We're supposed to meet with another Dr in 3 weeks, only so I can get aquainted with some of the other ones there. Dr Gordon is who I want to deliver me, but since there are 4 Dr's who rotate, there's a chance I won't get her. I reminded her that I still needed to meet some of the other ones, and she seemed genuinely disappointed. So I hope it turns out that she ends up being my Dr in the end. I think she would be sad if she wasn't. :)

After our appt, I went back to the sweet lab lady and she took my blood. She's perfect at her job, because she likes to chat, and I think she knows the more she talks, the more distracted her patients are with what's actually going on. I don't really get queasy, but I appreciate the effort anyway.

I got a call yesterday from the nurse, and she told me everything was normal. The only thing is that my iron is low, so now I have to take an iron supplement. Great. More horse pills. As if one isn't enough.

Also, as an odd side note, for the last couple of months, all I've wanted is a really good hot dog and/or sushi. I don't even normally care if I have a hot dog or not, but tell me I can't have something, and automatically, it's all I think about. haha So after Noah is born (and as long as it's safe), I'm totally getting Brad to get me everything I can't have right now.

3 comments:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

I thought you can eat hot dogs? I don't because of the elevated levels of...everything...and they are semi gross to me but I thought you could eat them. Anyways, I totally agree with you though when someone says that you cant have something that is all you want.

Thanks for the updates! It's nice to stay well informed!

Dani In NC said...

There is probably something about the hot dogs that your body is missing, but it isn't obvious to you right now. When I was pregnant with the twins, I craved margaritas all the time. Obviously, alcoholic beverages aren't a vital part of the food pyramid :-). After giving it some thought, I realized that I really needed was something tart because I walked around with a low level of nausea all the time. If you think about it, there may be something in the way that you prepare your hot dogs that you are really craving instead of the hot dog itself.

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

Hey Meagan! Yeah, I'm not supposed to have hot dogs for the same reason I can't have deli meat. Apparantly, something in the preservatives can cause Listeria. I'm probably safe now, since I'm so far along, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

And Dani, you're probably right. You might be onto something with the tartness part. I don't usually like mustard, but I've been putting it on everything lately. Maybe it's that combo that I'm missing? Who knows...

Thanks for the tip, though!