Saturday, June 6, 2009

Avocados are the best

Avocados are one of my favorite foods (fruit?? veggie? I think fruit...), so when I saw this recipe, I had to try it.

It's by Paula Deen (who else?), and Brad and I both loved it.

Fried Egg and Avocado Sandwich:

4 slices bacon
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
4 slices wheat bread, toasted
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley leaves
1 teaspoon minced green onion
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 large eggs
4 slices tomato
1/2 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced

Directions
In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove from pan, and drain on paper towels. Drain grease from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon.

Spread butter over each side of bread. Place 4 slices of bread, butter side down, on skillet over medium heat. Flip bread and toast the other side. Remove to serving plates.

In a small bowl, add cream cheese, parsley and green onions together. Add salt and pepper. Spread onto 1 side of each toast slice.

In same small skillet, fry the eggs in reserved bacon grease over medium-low heat. Crack the yolks and flip. Place each egg on top of 2 pieces of toast. Cover each egg with 2 slices of bacon, 2 slices of tomato, and 2 slices of avocado. Top with another piece of toast and serve immediately.

Since Paula's dishes tend to be a little on the fatty side, I tried to modify it a little. I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese, and I also cut the spread mix in half. There's just too much of it when you go by the recipe. I did use the same skillet after cooking the bacon, but I drained all of the grease instead of leaving a tablespoon. It still leaves the egg with plenty of flavor without all the added calories.

Noah obviously likes avocados too. He's definitely a growing boy!


I met with a different Dr yesterday at my appt. No real reason for that, other than to meet him, just in case he happens to be on call when Noah decides to come. He was very nice and actually made me feel alot better. I asked him what I could do about my feet/ankles/legs swelling other than everything I've already done (drink tons of water, exercise, sleep on my side, etc). His response, "The solution is to not be pregnant." He went into the medical whys and hows (more blood for baby, veins can't hold it all, pressure builds), but all I cared about was that I was doing the right thing. I also explained my weight dilemma to him. He said I looked absolutely fine to him, but he then followed it with, "Would you like to know where that extra 5 lbs is going?" and then he pointed straight to my poor swollen legs. He told me that if he put me on bed rest in the hospital today, that I would lose 5 lbs immediately. He also said that once I have the baby, I should end up losing a good 20 to 30 lbs within a couple of weeks.
I'm sure he gets crazies like me all the time. He said that the books are the books, but when it comes to real people, everyone is going to gain differently. Their main concern is that I'm continuing to live a healthy lifestyle. He told me he even has patients who refuse to see their weight and will turn around when they weigh in during their last few weeks. I'm thinking that might be a good idea for me. :)

My last question dealt with me actually having Noah. My coworker's daughter-in-law just had a baby girl last Tuesday. The thing is that she was due on May 23rd. So they let her go 10 days past her due date before she actually went into labor. Normally, this would not freak me out. However, she ended up having a 10 lb baby (naturally, I should add)! So I asked him how long would they let me go, because I'm not having a toddler! He reassured me that there's no way that baby gained that much weight in a week. He said that had she had her at 39 weeks, it still probably would've been a 9 lb baby. Now I'd like to know what she'd been eating. :)

So there you have it. He made me feel a lot better!

3 comments:

Dani In NC said...

It's good that you finally got to see a doctor who put you at ease. And don't call yourself crazy! You may feel like you are being a little nuts worrying when everyone is telling you to relax, but it is natural for you to be concerned that you are doing everything you can to produce a healthy child. Despite what the books say (and I am a person who loves to refer to books), pregnancy is one of those endeavors that has a lot of variables. Every healthy pregnancy doesn't look the same.

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

I'm so happy that you feel a lot better. You've been doing everything right and yes it totally depends on the woman. Everyone is different. I don't think I would go 10 days over my due date, but I know for your first you should expect going over about a week. O geez. 41 weeks!? NO WAY!

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

HEY I want to know what Yoga video that is? I was doing a pilates video but there is only so much you can do, ya know? Test me the video whenever you can!!!