This morning, we went to our weekly Dr's appointment. Poor Brad only had 2 hours of sleep, but he didn't want me driving alone. I'm so glad he came! Turns out, I was diagnosed with preeclampsia (or toxemia) this morning, which explains alot.
Signs of Preeclampsia:
- Severe swelling of the ankles and feet that won't go away after 12 hours of rest (check)
- Excessive weight gain that's not related to diet (check)
- Terrible headache that won't seem to go away with medication (check)
- Protein in urine (check)
- High blood pressure (check)
- Pain/pressure in upper abs (check - but only slightly)
The last 3 signs showed up today at the Dr's visit. Before that, I was fine. However, now I'm wondering if maybe I've been teetering on the edge of preeclampsia this whole time and just have been able to keep it under control until now. Obviously, if you've been keeping up, I've been very upset over the weight gain, despite keeping a healthy diet. Also, my swelling wouldn't go away. I don't think I've seen my feet in 3 months. The headache just came within the last 3 or 4 days. We thought it was related to my pillow, because it started in my neck and went up one side of my head. I had a feeling something was wrong, though, because my head would throb (like I could feel my heartbeat... obviously related to the high blood pressure).
The verdict: I'm being induced tomorrow morning.
My Dr figured this would be safest, since I'm considered full-term. I read, and if it goes untreated, I could end up seizuring and all kinds of fun stuff like that.
Weird fact: only 8% of pregnant women get this, but they think it's genetic, especially if you're normally a healthy person. My mom got it with my little brother, and funny enough, we gained the exact same amount of weight.
Bad news:
1. My Dr's visit didn't go so great.
2. I wasn't exactly done with everything around the house.
3. I was NOT expecting that diagnosis, which left me feeling a little shaky and uneasy about the whole thing.
4. We have to hurry and get bags packed, make arrangements for the dogs, and somehow get some sleep tonight
Good news:
1. At least I know when I'm going into labor (no surprises there)
2. I can get the epidural at any time
3. I have enough time to get myself prepared
4. We get to meet little Noah tomorrow!!! :)
4 comments:
Good luck! I had to be induced with my first two pregnancies, and it was less scary than going into labor on my own the third time :-).
We are so excited for you! I hope you two get some sleep tonight. I remember the night before I induced with Colton it was so hard to sleep because I was so anxious, excited, and nervous all at the same time. Let us know when you have him. Can't wait to see pictures of cute little Noah.
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYy
I'm excited.
Good LUCK!! And I cant wait to meet Noah!
Oh Hailey, I'm so sorry to hear about the pre-eclampsia but I am glad that they are taking care of you. I'll be praying for you, Brad and little Noah. How exciting that you get to meet him today!!!
Post a Comment