Thursday, October 29, 2009

Why I Was Deprived of Trick or Treating

Everytime this year, I run into people that are shocked to learn that I was never allowed to celebrate Halloween. No trick-or-treating, no goulish costumes, etc. I always have a hard time trying to explain why, and I really don't want to go around handing out the "Is Halloween Happy?" pamphlets. haha So I found an article explaining it. Yes, I know most holidays have their pagan roots, even Christmas, but this is one holiday that hasn't exactly shedded its dark roots.

This is by no means is me trying to tell everyone to boycott Halloween or anything like that. Not at all. It's just a way for me to explain why my parents felt the way they did. And yes, I was one of those kids that went to church dressed up as Queen Esther. lol.

Should Christians Celebrate Halloween?
By Elliott Watson


CBN.com – What about Halloween?
Should you and I be involved in the celebration of Halloween?

Finding the answer to this question has been an interesting journey in itself. I interviewed several people and then researched what many leading Christian writers, authors and spokesmen have written about the subject. I also searched various websites like www.christianitytoday.com, www.focusonthefamily.org, and www.cbn.com to read what others might be saying. What I found was an agreement on the origins of Halloween, but a mixture of recommendations about allowing our children to participate in this super-charged media driven holiday.

The origins of Halloween are Celtic in tradition and have to do with observing the end of summer sacrifices to gods in Druidic tradition. In what is now Britain and France, it was the beginning of the Celtic year, and they believed Samhain, the lord of death, sent evil spirits abroad to attack humans, who could escape only by assuming disguises and looking like evil spirits themselves. The waning of the sun and the approach of dark winter made the evil spirits rejoice and play nasty tricks. Believe it or not, most of our Halloween practices can be traced back to these old pagan rites and superstitions.

But what about today? Perhaps we can still learn from history. In the fourth century, Christians attempted to co-opt the holiday by celebrating the lives of faithful Christian saints the day before Halloween. This was a conscious attempt to provide an alternative and re-focus the day away from ghouls, goblins, ghosts, witches and other “haunted” experiences. Since that time many Christians have decided to allow their children to dress in more “innocent” costumes of pumpkins, princesses, Superman or as a cowboy. Part of this is due to the simple reality that in today’s Western culture it is nearly impossible to “avoid” Halloween.

Just before reaching a conclusion on the subject, I was struck with the thought that I ought to further my search and find out what Wicca, the official religion of witchcraft, has to say about Halloween. Perhaps they viewed the day as a simple fun and innocent neighborhood activity?

“Shock” is the only word to describe what I found. Halloween is a real, sacred day for those who follow Wicca. In fact, it is one of two high and holy days for them. The Celtic belief of spirits being released is current, along with the worship of Samhain (the lord of death) – both are promoted as something to embrace on that day. There is no question in my mind that to those who believe and follow the practices of witchcraft, Halloween represents an opportunity to embrace the evil, devilish, dark side of the spiritual world.

So after discovering this, what is a reasonable conclusion? As Christians you and I are placed in this world to be a light in a world of darkness. There is no lasting benefit to ignore a holiday that exists around us, but it also does harm to celebrate Halloween as it has originated and grown over the centuries.

My suggestion? Christians should be teaching their children (age appropriately) that:

there is a spiritual world filled with goodness from God and evil from Satan (Eph. 2:1-10);
life with Christ has power over darkness (I John 4:4); and
those who celebrate Halloween either are unaware of its roots, or are intentionally promoting a world where evil is lauded and viewed as an ultimate power.
To counter the evil influence of Halloween, we need to join together and celebrate the reality of the heroic efforts of Christian saints over the evil in their day. Many leaders in the past -- and present -- have fulfilled the mandate of destroying the works of the devil through their sacrificial commitment to Christ and His Kingdom.

Too, rather than “hide” in the face of evil, we should unabashedly and boldly create an alternative that is positive and uplifting; that celebrates good over evil and the triumph of God over Satan. We need to provide an environment that also makes room for heaps of fun while using the day as a “teachable moment” to celebrate God’s protection, provision and purpose for our lives.

For more on Halloween's Roots and Traditions

So there you go. And no, I don't think you're evil if you celebrate Halloween. Not at all. Most people really have no idea of its roots, including alot of Christians and very religious people. Since Brad has always celebrated Halloween, we've compromised. I'll let Noah go trick-or-treating (b/c really, that's just fun), but he can only go as something cute and innocent. No ghosts, devils, zombies, etc. Since trick-or-treating usually happens so early, we'll leave and go to a church fall fest so that the whole night isn't about witches and scary stuff. Oh, and I like to carve pumpkins, so we'll be doing that too. :)

4 comments:

Dani In NC said...

I'm one of those Christians who lets her kids go trick-or-treating in wholesome costumes. I knew the origins of Halloween before I read your post, but I don't feel strongly enough about it to deprive my kids of a fun activity. In the past when we didn't live in a good neighborhood for trick-or-treating, I took them to church festivals.

Honestly, I'm surprised that you still run into people here in the Bible Belt who are shocked that you don't celebrate Halloween. I had never heard of fall festivals and Christians who don't celebrate Halloween until I moved to NC, and I ran into them everywhere. If we lived anywhere else, I would say that keeping your kids from trick-or-treating would make them social outcasts, but the church festivals are so common here that my kids didn't feel left out when we went that route.

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

yep! I agree. I think we're on the same page. I'm not out celebrating evil if I let Noah go trick-or-treating, and I think he'll be smart enough to know that we don't worship Satan if we go get candy from the neighbors. I just won't let him dress up as anything that represents darkness.

Anna said...

I was a Queen Esther, too. Multiple times, I believe:) I remember so vividly being scared to death on Halloween night. I really freaked out like something bad was going to happen. Then, after I got married, every person I knew who was a Christian went trick or treating with their kids. I used to have a hard time with that, too, but now I realize it's an opportunity to teach the kids about what is going on, you know? I bought Jonah that pumpkin costume:) I think you have it, too. As he gets older, we will probably do stuff with the church like fall festivals and stuff. I'm glad we can relate;)

bashtree said...

I think I still have one of those What is Happy about Halloween brochures somewhere.

Another blogger I read, ElizabethEsther.com, posted something on this topic recently, too. I remember families at Res who really would black out every light in the house and whisper, lest they get visitors. It was kind of a non-issue growing up - we were perfectly happy to go to the festival at church, and since all our friends were church friends, nobody thought anything of it. At least, not as far as I could tell... :)