Sunday, December 13, 2009

Easy Healthy Dessert

I've obviously been trying to lose the last of my pregnancy weight, but it's been difficult. Everytime I work out, I feel like I've been run over by a semitruck. I get fatigued, dizzy, and outright exhausted. I haven't figured out why this is yet. I guess maybe I'm just overdoing it. Brad says I'm forgetting how much work I'm doing with Noah (lugging around a 20 lb baby's got to count for something!). He also says I make easy situations very complicated. He's probably right.

Anyway, since lots of exercise is out of the picture right now, my only other option is to cut back on calories. Unfortunately, that's easier said than done. I don't really eat alot of bad food, and I don't drink soda. We don't eat out much, so it's not like I can just not eat takeout anymore. I've pretty much just been living off of Kashi, Honey Nut Cheerios, and Total.
My #1 weakness has always been ice cream, so I switched from regular to fat free frozen yogurt. This leads me to the whole darn point of this post: my new favorite snack/lunch. I've been trying to incorporate more fruit into my diet, and I'm a sucker for anything sweet. I've been buying frozen, just because I can't go through the fresh fast enough. It's like watching our money rot right in front of me.

Anyway, I bought Target's Market Pantry frozen strawberries, and on the back, it gave a great smoothie recipe. I think it calls for ice cream, but I just substituted with the frozen yogurt. So I thought I'd share it with you. It's really good, and totally healthy.

1 cup frozen fruit
1/2 cup vanilla frozen yogurt
1/2 cup milk or juice (I use skim milk)

Pour everything in a blender and process until desired consistency.

You can make any flavor you want. I did strawberry banana the other day. I just added 1/2 a banana to it, and it seemed like plenty. Just play with it and see what you come up with. :)

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Yum! I just started working out. I need to work out in the morning because after a long days of caring for Brin my body is saying Noooooooooooooooooooo.... Smoothies are the best. Sometimes I use OJ instead of milk. Makes it not so creamy. I did love going to my 6 week appt and have the scale read in number I like!! I've already lost 25 lbs. Yes please! (PS you look so good girl. I was looking at pictures from last fall when we went to the corn maze and we were both so skinny!! Made me a bit depressed but we'll get there girl...we have to!)

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

I know what you mean. I'm not sure what's going on with me! I hate I can't work out like I used to. I saw those, and yes, it was a tad upsetting. At least we didn't gain for some other reason besides being pregnant! We have something to show for it besides a bigger behind! haha

Dani In NC said...

Ice cream is my MAIN dessert weakness. I have a really good blender that hardly ever gets used and I keep meaning to try smoothies, but I never manage to have all the ingredients in the house at the same time. My kids are big fans of a quick liquid breakfast, so maybe I should try making a batch in the morning with added protein powder.