Thursday, January 21, 2010

reality strikes.

We went to tell my brother goodbye yesterday. Originally, he was supposed to be flying down to Georgia, but because there were about 5 or 6 other guys going too, they had to take a big van instead. My dad told us he'd already gotten annoyed with one kid "who wouldn't stop complaining". Harrison told him to stop complaining, that he hadn't even gotten to Basic yet.
I bet that was a loooong drive for those boys.

We met up with him at MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station). He was pleasantly surprised to find my dad, my mom, our little sister, Brad, Noah, and I all there. I wanted to be able to give him a hug goodbye and also be there for my mom. She's been tough, but I know her too well.

(Seriously, in 3rd grade, I went away on a school trip for 3 days, and she cried the entire time before we left. So embarrassing as a 3rd grader.)

Anyway, she did well. She only teared up a little. I think she'd gotten lots of her crying done in the days leading up to it.

Our goodbye was really quick. He had to hurry and follow everyone else. I guess they had a schedule to keep. They were allowed to use their cell phones on the ride down there. Once they got to Basic, though, they were allowed one phone call, then that was it.
He called my mom twice on the way. He called her that evening and asked, "Momma... are you alright?" I thought that was so cute. He was worried about her. He said they'd stopped in Columbia and were eating at the Golden Corral there.

He called one more time and told my mom they were fine, but they were all getting kind of worried, because their driver kept falling asleep!

My dad called my mom at 8:30 this morning. I think he's a nervous wreck over Harrison too. For the first time, my dad isn't the one responsible for him. Apparently, Bud didn't call them last night to let them know he got there okay. My poor dad...

Everything is fine. He called my dad tonight.

From the time Harrison could talk, he's been enthralled with the Army. The last couple of months, he's glamourized this job. He watched videos, talked to friends that've been, and did all the research he possibly could.

When he talked to my dad tonight, he said, "They're treatin' us like crap!" and "I haven't slept in two days!"

He's officially had his reality check. These next few months will be interesting...

No comments: