Monday, January 25, 2010

scrapbooking projects... and a slight panic attack...

For the first time today, I realized that I've somehow become incredibly domesticated. I've never really been that career driven type. I enjoyed working, but it's not like my life's goal was to sell costume jewelry or engrave necklaces or manage a store. Had I actually gone after a "real" career, I think I would've liked fashion merchandising. Something about making a window look fabulous makes me feel good. Either that or something to do with animals. Either way, that's not the road I took. Maybe later, but for now, I'm a total mom/housewife.

As I was sitting on the floor in our loft, I took a sec to look around. Noah was perfectly content, babbling and playing with his toys on the floor next to me, while I was surrounded by scrapbooking supplies and watching Dr Oz.

Yep. I'm a total housewife. Just missing the bon-bons. Of course, I'm on a health kick, so maybe I'll just eat an orange instead.

This was actually not where I had the panic attack, though.
That was the other day. I (with Noah in tow) went to Michael's to grab a few more things for my latest scrapbooking project (our wedding album). I had a 25% off coupon to use towards my whole purchase, and it had to be used between 4pm and 8pm (fyi, I hate those kinds of coupons). So I got what I needed, plus a little more. I found the cutest baby scrapbook kit to use for Noah, so I went ahead and grabbed it too.
I got up to the register, the guy told me the total, I reached for my debit card... it wasn't there. Not only that, I didn't have a credit card either. Or checks. All I had was $15 in cash (which wasn't going to cover it) and a bright red face. I was mortified. I asked the nice man if he could hold my stuff for me, because I didn't have any money on me.

I hurried out, with poor little clueless Noah, no bags, and no pride.

To make things even better (major sarcasm here), my car was running on fumes. I was planning on filling up after I left Michael's.

I don't think I've prayed that hard in awhile. I kept having visions of Noah and I stranded on the side of the road, in the pouring rain, with Brad sound asleep at home having no idea what was happening.
Nevertheless, we arrived home safely. I realized while I was driving, that I didn't need to purchase that baby book yet, because I had a 40% off coupon at home (that had to be used later this week... and not with any other coupons).

I found my cards (hiding in one of my purses... I've got to get more organized) and headed back to Michael's.

Noah and I got back in line, and when it was my turn, I asked the guy if he could take out the album so I could come back and use the 40% coupon on it.
He told me that I could use it that day. I was certain that wasn't allowed. I read the fine print.
Turns out, he was the manager. I thanked him over and over for saving me a trip and being so nice.

Here's my plug. The Michael's in Gastonia is awesome.



(PS. Harrison somehow found a way to call us again. He's doing MUCH better and is adjusting well. We're looking forward to getting our first letter from him.)

2 comments:

Jess said...

I've had those moments...had one recently in the grocery store when I'd bought quite a bit of food, and then realized that the husband had used my debit card and didn't put it back.

Luckily, I had enough cash to cover most of it, but then I had to decide which items to take out. Bleh. So not fun.

But yay on the extra savings! Almsot made the moment of stress worth it, I'd think.

And love the new blog cuteness.

Ben and Sara said...

Hate when that happens! Oh and good job for working on your scrapbooks I'm so far behind I started doing blog books instead.