Well, you heard the virus story. That was fun. We had to spend a good $100 on an external hard drive (which isn't a bad idea to have anyway) to back up all of our info and then do a system restore. Turned out not to be too dramatic. We still have all of our pictures, videos, etc.
A few days before the *big crash*, Brad used Turbo Tax to file our taxes.
They were rejected yesterday.
Apparently, my name isn't what I thought it was. When I went to the SSA to get my name changed, I didn't want to lose my middle name. I'm all girl-power I guess when it comes to that. I don't feel I should have to lose a name that my parents gave me for a reason. I was named after both great-grandmothers, and why should poor MamMaw Moore have to lose out? I also didn't want to lose my maiden name. I've been Hopkins my whole life. I don't want to give that up either. So I kept them all. I figured I would be like my little brother and sister and have two middle names.
Turns out, my last name is hyphenated... without me knowing it. I talked to the IRS lady, and she very nicely explained to me that there's no actual hyphen. It's a pretend hyphen. So my last name is Hopkins Kemper.
Brad was thrilled.
Fortunately, the Turbo Tax people were understanding and didn't make us pay to refile them. Brad talked to them and said, "My wife..." and the guy sympathized. Thanks, buddy.
Go girl power.
Finally, I burnt my son's peas.
On a positive note, it snowed last weekend.
I realize that most of my blogging buds are probably rolling their eyes, since the majority of you live in areas that are a constant dumping ground for snow. However, this little southern girl is all about the snow (the NC kind). I love watching the 24 hour "Winter Blast" coverage, especially the news anchors standing out in the middle of a completely dry road, telling us that "in a few short hours, this area will be treacherous". Or even better, when the news guy holds a cookie sheet in order to show us the ice falling on it. Where else can you find such a classic stunt? I love going to the store for milk and bread... not because I need it, but because it's tradition*. I want to be with all the other insane (aka "excited") southerners, standing in line with their completely-useless-in-a-real-emergency grocery items. I love getting up every few hours and looking outside just to check if there's any white stuff falling.
You get the idea. I'm a sucker for snow. I hope it snows again like this next year, so this little guy can help us build a snowman.


*I do have a theory on the "milk and bread" thing. I think it's because those are the first items to go bad, so you need to have a fresh set in case you're stuck indoors for awhile. All of us NC natives were scarred by the infamous snow of 1988 where we got snowed in for a whole week... and we all ran out of milk and bread.
4 comments:
I love how the puppies are standing guard over Noah, that will be a senior yearbook photo for the collage for sure!
I'm giggling over here about the milk and bread theory. Only because I was such a smart mouth about it in my post. Haha!
And I must say it's absolutely hilarious that you guys put the baby carrier in the now. I LOVE it....what a good way to get baby's first snow pic.
And yes, spring is ABSOLUTELY the time to visit DC. It's amazing here in the spring. When you guys come up you'll have to let us know. We can play tour guides.
lol. Jess, you inspired me! Honestly, I really do love going to the store for all of that, but not to partake in it. I like to stand around and watch the madness. I think it's funny.
You left out our traditional "Snow lovin".
Post a Comment