Friday, February 5, 2010

Cold, icky night = warm comfort food

I honestly don't remember which of my mom's cookbooks I got this recipe from. Otherwise, I'd totally give them credit.

Either way, I made this for the first time a long time ago for Brad (early college days) on a cold night. It's always been one of his favs, so I figured I would share it, since most of you are stuck in the blistering cold and need something warm to eat (that doesn't take forever to make).

Shrimp Chowder

Ingredients:
8 slices of bacon
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 (10 oz) cans cream of potato soup, undiluted
1 (10 oz) can cream of celery soup, undiluted
2 (4 oz) cans of tiny shrimp
4 cups milk
Dash of pepper

1. In a large Dutch oven, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towel. When cool, crumble bacon. Reserve one tablespoon drippings in pot.

2. Add onion, green pepper, and celery to pot. Cook on medium heat until softened, stirring constantly. Once cooked, add the next 5 ingredients. Cook for about 5 minutes or until heated through.

3. Serve with crumbled bacon on top.


Like a said... SO easy.

Also, sorry I don't have a picture. I don't bother anymore, because my photography never does it justice. But you can use your imagination. It's soup with bacon on top. :)

1 comment:

Jess said...

I have a Three-Mushroom Soup recipe I feel like that about. It's the best thing in the world on a cold night, and I can eat half the pot by myself.