Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Happy Birthday to My Mommy!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY MOM!!

I will be writing in PINK because that's her favorite color.
I will NOT be disclosing her age, because to be honest... I think God Himself might be a tad nervous to reveal it.

Up until I was in 2nd grade, I'd been telling people my mom was 23... every year. This continued until we had a class party, parents came, and I'll never forget my friend Patrick's mom complimenting her on how young she looked. Then she whispered and asked me how old she was. I looked at her, serious as can be, and announced, "23". Just as I'd been taught. It was very clear to me at that moment that something was awry... because the look on his mother's face said it all. So I finally did the math, and let's just say, my mom would've had me in elementary school.

Things I get from my mother:

Good skin:
My mother can tan, and I cannot. However, she taught me at a very young age that the sun is evil and will make me look old, whether I burn or not. So as a result, I never sun-bathed. There were a few times I experimented with it, just to fit in with my other girlfriends at the beach. Of course, while they were smothered in tanning oil, I was smothered in SPF 70. I was also smart enough to hide my face... just in case.
Anyway, my mom had always been proud of the fact that no one can guess her age based on her looks. She once tried out a new dermatologist, and just for the fun of it, she had the doctor examine her skin (without checking her age first). They guessed 10+ years younger than she was.
So while I'm sure you're disgusted with the bragfest by now, the point of all of this is that I'm thankful she taught me how to take care of my skin. Such a good lesson to learn from mom.

Fine hair:
Hairstylists tell us we have "baby fine hair".

My feminist ideals:
No, she didn't teach me that all men suck. However, I did learn from my mom that no man was to treat me badly. I could stand up for myself, and I deserve to have a voice (no matter how small and quiet it may be).
She constantly made sure I understood (as she does with my sister), that we can be anyone we want. No occupation is too far-fetched, and just because we're women doesn't mean that we're inferior. God made us as a helpmeet, not a doormat.

A positive attitude:
My mom has been through some tough times... a challenging childhood, divorce, loss of her father, loss of a baby, and so on. However, if I've learned anything at all from her, it's to continue to believe in God's faithfulness and His promises, to speak blessings instead of griping, and to constantly try to reach others for Jesus.
While I'll never be as bold as she is (a lot of my daddy in me too), I will always do my best to be a godly example, to love others as Jesus would, and to minister to those who are hurting... all of the qualities I've picked up from her over the years.

So here's to you Mom (aka "Nae Nae")!!
Happy Birthday!!



Love,
Your baby girl
(the 1st one)

1 comment:

Charbelle said...

I always thought and still think your mom is so beautiful! She walks into a room and it comes alive! When I wrote on your mom's fb wall I noticed her profile pic and wow do ya'll really look alike!!!