Friday, April 9, 2010

the 8 month (belated) post

Well darn. I usually do well about posting on the monthly milestones. But hey, I did post Noah's "chubby picture" on the actual day.

So here we go:

Noah is now weighing in at 28 lbs (yikes). As far as I can tell (it's a little difficult to measure with a squirmy baby), he's around 29" long.
And no, we don't really feed him butter and Nutella. But after explaining every time we go out just why I have such a big baby (and his parents are small), I just got the urge to be a tad facetious. And yes, we have very big people on both sides of our families. Lots of tall genes.

Tidbits about Noah...

He still loves sweet potatoes. I think this will continue to be his favorite, especially when I add some cinnamon to it. However, he also really likes apples, pears, carrots, peas, and bananas. I'm very glad we don't buy jar baby food. I make my own, and it's not because I think there's something terribly evil about jarred baby food. It's because he would eat us right into the poor house. You know how when you ask the pediactrician, "So how much of the solids should he eat?" They always seem to answer with, "However much they want to eat."
They have not fed my baby. From what I hear, most babies his age typically eat 3 to 4 ounces at a meal. HA! Try doubling that. I make him 3 or 4 ounces, and it's gone in a matter of minutes. If I take too long to give him another bite, he kicks his little leg and starts going, "mmm, mmm" lol.
So after he downs it, I find myself rushing to get a few more ounces. Yep. Noah can down 6 to 8 ounces of food, and I finally have to cut him off.
Because really. Do you know what happens to a baby who eats 6 ounces of fiberous food? Well, his poopy issues are no more. Yesterday, the kid went 4 times in a 24 hour period. The good thing is that his tummy can take it. He never is fussy from tummy cramps, thank goodness.

So now that I've explained the inner workings of my baby, let's move on...

He learned to clap the other day!! He's actually been leading up to it for awhile. He loves to bang different items together to hear their sounds. While I was dusting the other day, I happened to look down at him, and he was sitting there clapping away!

Remember that announcement about him cutting his first tooth? Well, turns out, that bottom tooth wasn't the first to show up. We just didn't see the other one. I can't tell exactly which one it is. I'm not a dentist, so I can only assume. But it's either his canine tooth or the one next to it, the one in front. That was his first. Then the bottom one showed up. He's now cutting 3 teeth at the same time! We're using the Oragel, but he hasn't been nearly as fussy as he was before.

He's not crawling yet, but he can creep a little. He's mainly still rolling around everywhere, which is fine with me. Most moms are really anxious for their babies to start crawling or walking. To me, this just means more complications. :) More stuff for him to get into. More for me to worry about. I'm in no hurry, but I will be excited when he finally figures it out.

The helmet situation is doing much better. No more heat rashes (that thing is lined with baby powder 24/7). The major plus side to having a helmet... no boo-boo's on his head! He'll fall over (from sitting up), roll into a coffee table or chair, and bump his head against the rails of his crib... no worries! He has a helmet!

He talks up a storm. His words:
"Mama" = milk (hmm) or mommy
"Num Num" = food
"Dada" = daddy (not fair)
"Baba"/"Baby" = ??
I think he just repeats what I say all the time
He also really enjoys blowing bubbles with his tongue. We'll be driving along quietly in the car, when I suddenly hear, "Pfffthh!!"

He loves music. Any music. This is very helpful at church. And while I do my best not to keep the tv on around him, I don't feel so guilty watching American Idol with him. He loves hearing the music. To make it a tad more interactive (instead of us just staring at the screen), we dance to it. He thinks that's so fun.

While he may look more like Brad, he has my sense of humor. Silly, weird things make him laugh hysterically. Things that I think are hilarious, he thinks they are too. We're both very easily amused. He likes to be chased (ie. I act like I'm after him while Brad holds him and runs from me). He loves surprises (Brad could take it or leave it). He thinks it's so fun to be tickled (which Brad hates). However, he loves silly faces, which I think he gets from Brad... because Brad makes silly faces all the time, whether he means to or not. :)

Noah loves water. I think he could spend all day in his bathtub and never get bored. He's fascinated by the spicket, his toys, the water splashing... he has the best time!

His hair is still strawberry blond. His eyes are still blue. He's still a chunk.
He's the best.

2 comments:

Charbelle said...

You know when he starts moving around he's going to be a handful!! He's just the cutest! He'll always quickly figure out how to get around you and Brad just by being cute, you gotta watch that. Plus he's a flirt which means that he'll be even better at getting around other people. Just want to squeeze him =)

Jess said...

Both Gabe and Cass were big. Like, 97th percentile across the board, big. And OH THE COMMENTS. People just love the state the obvious.

Once they started walking, and then running, the big changed into tall. By the time they were 18 months, the height was still 97th (still is today), and their weights were down in the 50th.

So I wouldn't worry. He looks adorable, and that's all the matters. :)

(sidenote: Livie is tending towards big too...some of us just make big babies)