Thursday, May 13, 2010

Noah's Nine Month Visit

Noah had his 9 month well visit today!
The morning actually started out a little dramatically.

I have a bad ankle. I'm not sure if I ever wrote about this before, but a few years ago, Brad had to have heart surgery. While he was in the hospital, I decorated his room with all kinds of "welcome home" type things. However, he wasn't allowed to walk up the stairs. I felt bad that he wasn't going to get the same effect, so I ran upstairs to grab his balloons. His parents' house has some steep steps. In my excitement, I wasn't paying attention and completely missed that last step. My right foot landed on the hardwood floor, and went down, still holding on to the balloons.
Everyone came running... pretty embarrassing. I told them I was fine, but as soon as I stood up, I felt something pop and got a really sharp pain in my ankle. Not good. I hobbled over to the couch, next to my handicapped boyfriend. While his sister got me some ice, his dad checked out the damage. My ankle had swollen twice its normal size and was deep blue within minutes. They were afraid I'd broken it. To make matters worse, I started going into shock. Yay. Brad's dad called my dad and said he was going to take me to the ER. And of course, I couldn't walk to the car. Brad wasn't allowed to lift a milk carton, let alone his girlfriend. So his dad, with his bad back, lifted me up and put me in the car. I swear that man needs a red cape sometimes. He's such a superman. Poor Brad; I stole his thunder.

Anyways, turns out I just sprained it really bad. Ever since then, it's been a little "if-y."

So today, as I was carrying Noah out to the car, my sandal slipped on our back step, causing my foot to land on the garage floor. I felt that infamous pop, and we both went down. All I could think of as we fell was "concrete floor! concrete floor!" Fortunately, I inherited that mother's instinctive vice hold. My legs might fall off, but Noah was not going to get hurt. As soon as I realized he was okay, I let go of him. He was laying on his back, looking up at me with this, "what just happened?" face. I started calling for Brad, except my voice was accented with pain and urgency. It scared Noah. He understood something was wrong and started crying. Brad came running and got Noah. That little boy didn't take his eyes off of me.

I'm fine. I was smarter this time and didn't stand on it immediately. It's swollen, but not blue. Brad somehow convinced me to change into my running shoes, so that I'd have good support. I was wearing a skirt. Yes, it was denim, but still. It was bad. People that saw me today must've thought I turned into one of those moms that has given up on her appearance.

Anyway, we miraculously made it to the pediatrician on time.

So here are the stats:
Weight - 27.5 lbs (95%)
Height - 30 in (95%)
Head - not sure, but I heard it was off the charts

Noah's one healthy baby. The nurse told us not to be surprised if he only gains like a pound or so between now and his first birthday. He's already starting to slim down some... I know, it's hard to tell. But really, he is. Makes me sad, almost. I'm going to miss my chubby baby! She said that all of the people giving us a hard time about "feeding him too much" are going to start asking us if we're feeding him enough. It never ends, does it?
He likes Dr Cox. Seriously, this guy is wonderful. He's silly and funny and great with kids. He makes the visit less stressful on both babies and parents. He answers every question I throw at him. He also has this "alter ego" we were told to ask about. Apparently, he and another pediatrician there like to play pranks on the drug reps that come by. His alter ego is Cletus. Our helmet doctor told us to ask him about it, because it was hilarious. Dr Cox told us most of his patients don't get to see it, but since we asked, he'd do it. It was hysterical. Think Cletus on The Simpsons. Or any backwoods hillbilly stereotype. I mean, he has a wig, glasses, and teeth for it. And he doesn't break character. It's too funny.
He happened to have a resident pediatrician following him today. I would like to know what that guy was thinking when Dr Cox put on his show for us. lol. Definitely not something you normally see at a doctor's office. But it's a great tactic for scaring off sales people.

Noah and Dr Cox. Noah looks a little like, "Dude, can we go now?"

Anyway, Noah did great.
He's able to start on finger foods, and we're beginning the weaning phase. He should be done by his first birthday.
He had to get his HepB shot. What amazed me, was that Noah remembered the nurse. It's always the same lady that gives him shots, and as soon as she sat down in front of him, his little lip started curling. He knew what she was about to do. Once it was over, Brad handed him to me. While I hate seeing him hurt, it's so sweet having him cling to me. He grabbed my shirt in his little fists and wouldn't let go, while he just sniffled into my neck. Makes my heart melt.

We also had a helmet doctor appointment today. Noah's head looks great. It's getting all rounded out and cute. He has a ton of blond hair on top and fuzzies on the sides where his helmet hits. We don't think he'll have to wear it much longer, mainly because he's growing so darn fast. Mr Andy tweaked the helmet for us, and we'll be visiting again in 3 weeks.

As for the boys that are coming, one of them wimped out on us. Turns out, he's sick. But I think the other two are still coming. I don't know... there's still 24 hours left. :)
My uncle is coming to help Brad work on the fence. He has his own grading company, so he has all kinds of cool tractors and tools. It should make the job go a little more quickly. Hopefully.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

5 comments:

Charbelle said...

I'm so sorry about your ankle, I am super impressed that you landed with the mom instinct!!
Too funny about the doctor, glad ya'll have such a fabulous pediatrician!!!
Noah is so adorable. I love looking at your pictures, he just makes me smile every time!

Jess said...

I LOVE the second picture of him. The look on his face is priceless.

Iva Messy said...

awwww! what a cutie!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

He really is SO CUTE.

I have a bum ankle too!! I broke it stalking an ex boyfriend (long embarassing story- I like yours better).

Dani In NC said...

Falling seems to be a fact of life with me. I've twisted the left ankle twice, I broke my right foot this past December, and I've fallen down stairs and tripped over thin air more times than I can count. Needless to say, ABM did most of the baby carrying :-).

The baby's first year isn't always an indication of how s/he will turn out. C1 is as tall and lithe as a supermodel, but she started out as a chubby baby. Her twin actually weighed less than her for quite a while, and now she is the buxom one.

Noah looks so much like Brad in that 2nd picture!