We ran into a few problems with the fence. We got a nice little letter from the HOA people, telling us we needed to have our property surveyed before building it. At first, we thought this meant we were going to have to pay $300 for a pro to come in. Turns out, they have a guy that lives a few houses down from us that does it. Everything's good. My dad came back to help Brad again with it. Thank God for my daddy. He's such a smart man.
You know how people always say girls like to date/marry guys like their dad? I didn't really believe it, just because Brad is SO not my dad. My dad is Mr. GQ. He wears designer clothes. He travels and only stays in nice hotels. He enjoys fine dining. He spoils the people he loves, not only with gifts but attention. He knows proper ettiquette. He didn't want me to wear nail polish when I was younger... because it will eventually chip and look tacky. He'd never tell me that, of course. My mom mentioned it to me a long time ago. lol.
So yeah, Brad was not anything like my dad.
However, as I've watched them together, certain things have dawned on me. Things that they have in common. When Brad comes in from working outside, I tell him I love that smell. And no, it's not a stinky, sweaty smell. It smells like dirt and grass and lumber, maybe with a little bit of gasoline from whatever tool he was using. I like a man that works outside with his hands. Ever seen those men with hands that look like they've never touched a hammer? Kind of frail and pasty? lol. That's the only way I know how to describe it. Brad has nice man hands. haha
While my dad could clean up well, he was a carpenter. He designed and then helped build all of the homes I've lived in (except this one, of course). He worked outside and smelled like sawdust, the rust from nails, and just the outdoors in general. I remember liking that. He would come home with blue fingernails from where it was smashed with a hammer. He wore bandaids when he would cut them. To me, this meant he worked hard and wasn't afraid of it.
Brad is loving like my dad. A lot of men tense up around newborns and babies. They don't particularly like the screaming or dirty diapers. My dad's reaction to Noah? "He smells like a new baby..." was what came out of his mouth. When Noah was a newborn and did the colic thing, my dad took him to the nearest rocking chair and enjoyed every minute of his time with him. He gets on the floor and plays with him. He kisses him and tickles him. Just like he did with me.
Brad does the same thing. His whole world is Noah now. He's silly with him, and I love it.
Brad is giving like my dad. My daddy would do his best to give you the whole world, if you asked it. He helps those who needs it. He takes care of the elderly. He's the only man in our family that helps with the dishes after lunches or dinners at my grandparents'. And he won't stop helping until it's done. He's currently working seven days a week. I know he has to be tired. But instead of going straight home, he comes to our house to help build a fence. He has bad feet (he fell off a ladder a few years ago and landed feet first on the concrete... broke both of them), so it hurts to stand for long. He doesn't complain. He just keeps on going.
Brad loves to help. As a teenager and college student, he took care of his mom (who is a severe diabetic). Most kids that age are out with friends, going to parties, etc. The majority of our dates were us hanging out at home with his mom. She's the coolest, though. We always had fun.
Brad works his rear end off to support us. I don't give him enough credit for being such a great guy for that. Because of him, I'm able to stay home with Noah, which has been a gift in itself. Even when he's super tired, he still fits Noah and I in.
Anyways, this stuff just kind of struck me in the last week or so, as I've been watching them work together.
------------
This week, I will have a home filled with even more boys. Things always change with them, but as of right this second, we will be hosting three of Brad's guy friends. I'm so excited. The reason? I get to cook. I love cooking for a lot of people, because it means it'll get eaten. I like to feed people. I now have 4 grown men that I get to feed... plus Noah, who sometimes thinks he should eat like a grown man. :) Oh yeah, and they're cool.
------------
I have an Idol prediction. I know, it's easier now that there are only 4 left. I actually haven't watched it in years, but I heard this was Simon's last season, so I couldn't resist. There's something about that snarky, British guy that I love. I'm a sucker for British guys anyway. Love the humor, the bluntness, and the sarcasm. The accent doesn't hurt. And really, Simon seems to be the only one who knows what he's talking about up there half the time anyway. Seriously, everyone waits to see what he has to say. Somehow his opinion carries more weight.
So my prediction? Brad said it first, but I think I'll jump on board. It's going to come down to Crystal and Lee. Lee will win.
---------------
I love the Duggars. I wish Jim Bob and Michelle would adopt me. But then I'd have to give up my favorite jeans and summer dresses. I could seriously just eat that baby Josie up. I love having a show that I can watch that won't contradict the values we stand for, and that I can watch with Noah around, without having to worry about the content.
---------------
After tomorrow, Brad doesn't have to go back to work until Monday!! Noah and I have really missed getting some good, quality time in with him. So if I'm noticeably quiet after tonight, you'll know why.
K, I'm done. These two posts should fill my blog quota for awhile. :)
3 comments:
You have a wonderful Daddy and husband which is so cool!! It's interesting how they are alike yet not. I think it has something to do withyou got the traits that matter the most and then you got a man who is his own man...
--I'm not a fan of American Idol, but I do have a weakness for accents from English-speaking countries (England, Ireland, Australia). That is why I watch and listen to the BBC a lot.
--The Duggars' lifestyle is so far out there to me that I can't fathom it, but I would like to figure out their financial secrets.
--Have fun with your house full of boys!
Dani, they've talked about their financial stuff before. I know they live debt free, so it's worth a look. Go check out their website. I know I read about it there... and they don't get any money for suggesting it or anything.
Also, the whole Dave Ramsey thing is a huge hit right now too.
Post a Comment