Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"You Say It's Your Birthday"

I've always thought that maybe I was born in the wrong decade.
Ever since I was about 12, I've been fascinated by the 50's and 60's. That whole hippie, "flower power", peace and love thing really interested me. The biggest part though? The Beatles.

I've mentioned before how I've been crazy about them for most of my life. While most other teenage girls spent their time making out with boys in movie theaters, I would stay up late at night and read huge biographies about The Beatles. I knew their birthdays, the dates of famous concerts, the formation of the band... I knew it all. I know, I'm weird. You don't have to tell me.
I always had a hard time deciding which one was my favorite, usually going back and forth between Paul and Ringo. George and John were a little too out there for me.
I loved that Paul wanted to save animals and become vegetarian. I loved Ringo's sense of humor. I love British humor, in general, over American humor. American humor is just so darn obvious. British people are dry and clever about it.
I'm actually going to take Brad to see Paul McCartney for the first time this month!! I've already been once with my dad in college (best concert EVER... complete with Cirque du Soleil performers and stories from his past), but I really wanted Brad to see him too.

Ok, I'm getting off topic...

You get my point. I'm a Beatles fan. Sorry, it's getting late and I tend to ramble when it gets late.

So there's no way I could let today go by without mentioning this:

Today is Ringo Starr's 70th birthday.


For his birthday, he asked his fans to do the peace sign at noon today, wherever you were. I didn't know there was a time on it, so I was a little late. But oh well. Peace and love, everybody! :)

3 comments:

team cowan said...

Yet another thing we have in common. I admit, I haven't read biographies or seen Paul in concert (although my sister recently went to his concert in Texas and she called me, from the concert, crying), but I feel as though they are a part of me. Like they helped raise me or something. I find that when I sing to the boys before kissing them goodnight, it's most often Beatles' songs that come to mind first. Blackbird, Gold Slumbers, In My Life (the song Zach and I danced to at our wedding), Till There Was You..... But also, John is definitely my favorite ("Beautiful Boy" was actually the song that was playing when Max was born. And we nearly named Max Jude or Julian. But "Bang Bang Maxwell" works as well). George follows in a close second in terms of favorites. I always felt like Paul was the pretty boy of the band. And Ringo.... I don't really know what to think of Ringo. Anyways, loved the post. And I also love that Cat Stevens' song. :)

Dani In NC said...

M will be so disappointed that she missed Ringo's birthday! Right now he is her favorite Beatle.

I had forgotten you were such a fan. I should have invited you over when we were playing Beatles Rock Band over the 4th of July weekend. I'm surprised you didn't hear me caterwauling "Back in the USSR" all the over at your house :-).

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

Katie... I had Beautiful Boy on my Ipod for the hospital too! lol. You HAVE to go see Paul at least once if you can. It really is the BEST concert I've ever been to. Ringo always made me laugh, that's why I liked him. However, when we were younger, I always thought Brad looked a little like John. So yeah, John was a fav for a little while. I liked George better during the later years. The way he looked reminded me of my dad in the 70s. :)

And Dani... that's awesome your kids are Beatles fans! No, I didn't hear you, but I'm sure it would've been entertaining! lol.