Tuesday, August 17, 2010

and they came marching one by one... and then by the dozens.

We have ants.

I noticed the first one a few days ago, not long after Noah's party. We had ordered pizza, and I threw the boxes out on our back porch so I wouldn't forget to throw them in the recycling bin.
Well, it didn't take those boogers long to find it. It probably didn't help that their little antenna thingies smelled all that good food we cooked over the weekend. I'm no stranger to ants. Brad and I grew up in a very wooded area. My parents got them one year, but they have Terminex, so I think that's why they didn't come back. Brad's parents get them every stinkin year. It's awful. They hired an exterminator, and they still came back.
I hate ants. I hate them, I hate them, I HATE THEM.

As soon as I saw them, I pulled out my bleach. I don't care what those pros use. Nothing can survive a bottle of bleach.
At first it was just a couple. I sprayed them, then the corners of the door, and anywhere else they might think about going. We don't keep food lying around, so I'm not sure what they thought they'd be getting. I moved the bowl of fruit on the counter, though, just in case.

I would spray the few that showed up, and they'd disappear for a couple of days. Then I'd see a few more, spray them, and that was it.
And then tonight happened.
There were dozens of them. On the floor. On the wall. Scurrying along the cracks of the cabinets. Ugh. It seriously gives me chills. I can handle most bugs, even spiders. Because even if a spider somehow keeps coming back (after you've sucked him up in the vacuum, flushed him down the toilet, etc), at least they have the common courtesy to stay in one spot. But ants... they're rude. They find a fun place to crash and invite all of their friends. And like a bad guest, they never leave.

I went on a bleaching rampage tonight. I think I sprayed the whole freakin floor. And then the one thing that gives me the willies the most... they found the dishwasher. Aaaaack! I washed every dish in that thing. Then sprayed it with  bleach too. There's no darn reason they should even want to hang out in there anymore. I will be washing everything by hand for the next few days.
Oh, and Noah has a new thing: he loves Cheerios, but instead of eating them off of his tray or table, he likes to throw a few on the floor, just so he can go eat them after his meal. After dinner tonight, he didn't quite get to all of them. So I just spent the last 10 minutes crawling around my diningroom floor collecting Cheerios. I'd like to keep the ants confined to one room.

So now that I've managed to write what's probably the longest blog about God's worst creation (seriously, I have a few things to say about ants to Him... and mosquitos... but mostly ants), do any of you have a good remedy for this???
I can't have Noah crawling on the floor and suddenly taking an interest in the tiny moving objects. I just got a chill.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

4 comments:

team cowan said...

We find common ground yet again. I HATE the nasty little buggars. They make me crazy. And I go to extreme measures when I find them in the house. The other night I found a ton of them waltzing across my living room floor and having their way with a forgotten sippy cup full of juice. GROSS. I waited till the boys were in bed and then I moved all the furniture away from their path, moved all the toys away, and then sprayed the whole area with ant killer. Yep, right inside the house. I openned all the windows and turned on the fans so we wouldn't DIE from the fumes. It says it's ok for indoor use, and hopefully it is. But seriously, ants make me crazy enough to spray poison across my living room floor. I've read that you can leave out corn meal and they'll eat it and it'll expand inside them and kill them. I've read that they don't like cinnamon. I leave out ant baits and those seem to do a good job too. Although our dog did eat one once and then barfed all night long........... Ugh. Ants. Good luck. They make me want to move.

Charbelle said...

Oh my, I would have reacted the same way that you did!! I have the little ant traps on my counter from when I got them last year due to all the rain we had.
I think you're doing everything you can at this point short of using actual ant killer spray. The biggest thing is to keep food off countertops. Wipe up anything sticky. It gives me chills too!!
I do have to say I hate mosquitos worse, I tend to get swarmed by them and then the bites swell up and it's awful. But ants just about tie for the awfulness!!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Oh you poor thing. I can emphathize. I hate any insect. It really is my achilles heel.

We still have all those sand hornets in our front yard and I obsess about them. They keep me up at night. I think about them way more than I should. I can't WAIT for winter just so I know they will be dead for awhile. But they will be baaaack. They were there last summer too. Ugh! I know they are God's creation and I try to think about them that way...they eat locusts. I just can't appreciate them. Give me bunnies, puppies and kitties.

Jess said...

Ants are evil.

I hate them.

A lot of ants will crawl in your house, but aren't actually attracted to the food. Get the outside baits, they're little green disks with a spoke that goes in the ground. The ants take the poison from it and bring it back to the nest, so they all die. We put them all around the base of our house, and it makes a huge difference.