Friday, August 20, 2010

Flashback Friday: The Pups

I realized I've never really done a post about our dogs, other than random rants about how much damage they cause sometimes.
I was never much of a dog person. I liked cats. I just saw dogs as stinky, loud, dirty, and obnoxious. I thought puppies were cute, but they were for other people. We had a Great Dane named Rolex, and I loved him, but he was my brother's dog.

That was until our little guys changed my whooole perspective. (...and I know Brad was thrilled, because he likes dogs better than cats).

Our pooches were our first babies. Back in 2005, Brad and I went to the beach with a bunch of friends. While we were living it up on the coast, our little guys were being born.
Brad and our buddy Ryan throwing ice cream sandwiches... yep, we were a mature bunch...

playing PuttPutt in the FREEZING wind


baby Dodger

tiny Flash

Brad's sister Kerri had a dog (Zoe) who lived at Brad's house. And that's how we got them. They're from the same litter, yet somehow managed to look like two different purebreds. I can't tell you how many lab and golden "experts" we've run into while out with them, telling us how beautiful they are and tell us all of the "purebred markings" they have. lol. We just nod and smile.
When we got back from the beach, Brad and I spent so much time taking care of them, playing with them, and trying to keep them safe from the herds of little children (we have a lot of neices and nephews) trying to "hold" them. The original plan was for Kerri to make sure they all were adopted out. Brad's dad was NOT having 7 dogs running around the house. As people came by to pick out which one they wanted, Brad and I kept hoping they wouldn't take our favorites. My mom was not in the market for another dog, either. But in an effort to convince her (I knew it wouldn't take much... she's a sucker just like me), I brought Dodger to our house for them to see. They were all smitten. Dodger was mine.
Flash was harder to win over on Brad's dad, but eventually, his dad was the one knocking on Brad's door early in the AM, asking if he could take Flash on a walk. It turned into a regular thing.

Flash is ALL lab. He's clumsy and has a knack for getting himself into trouble. He's our protector. He refuses to let anyone in our yard until they've thoroughly passed his inspection. And he remembers. He's incredibly athletic. He runs circles around our house, all day long. He leaps in the air when birds fly by, as if he wishes he could be one of them too. He only likes one other dog, and that's Dodger. He's a total pack dog, and he's the leader.

Dodger is our sweetheart. He's very laid back and calm. Even as a puppy, he was the lazy one. He's such a baby but is so loving. Noah can pull his fur, smack him in the head, and Dodger will take it, if not give him a quick kiss as a response. He's our nurturer. He's very protective of me, and no matter what I do, I'm still his mommy. If I come outside, his ears perk up, he starts wiggling around, and he flops on the ground for me to rub his belly.

such a mama's boy

Flash on the lookout

Brothers and Best Buds.
Before Dodger's "big boy" fur came in, he looked a lot like a baby bear. :)

I'm so happy we were able to keep them. They've been so much fun. And although Noah is definitely our favorite, they're still our babies. :)

2 comments:

Charbelle said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures!!! They are so adorable, even now!!! They were awesome with all the people at the party, they just wandered around, hoping for handouts. So neat how they love you guys and Noah,dogs are just wonderful, but I have to admit I'm biased.

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Those puppy pics are soooo cuuuute. Dodger's ears KILL me.