The problem with having a one-year-old is that they have very short attention spans. They're constantly learning and getting into things, but they quickly get bored with it and move on. Which is why all of his birthday toys occupy him for about 10-15 minutes each. I also am not a fan of having the tv babysit him. The other issue: he's stuck with just me
all day long. Even though I know he loves me, I have a feeling he's totally unimpressed by me after a few hours. By the time 5pm rolls around, he's ready to move on to somebody else and something else.
And while he did have church to keep him busy yesterday morning, he was still a little bored late yesterday afternoon. Plus his nap schedule got thrown off, so he was a tad fussy.
So what was my solution?
Strip him down to his daiper, stick him in the sink, get a bunch of plastic cups, and let him go to town. I think he thought I'd lost my mind at first, but he warmed up to it and had a blast. :)
4 comments:
Hailey I know exactly what you're talking about. It's so hard to occupy a toddler all day long (even harder with 2).
I give them a bath in the afternoon sometimes just to give them something to do for an hour. They will play in the tub for 45 minutes!
These pics are so cute!
Oh so cute!!! Not only does it occupy him but cools him off too!!
Mine used to spend hours in the sink. Cups and spoons. They loved it.
Yesterday Max woke up from his nap early and was completely inconsolable. I gave him cookies, I turned on shows for him, nothing made him happy. And Zach wasn't going to be home for another 2 hours. So I remembered your post and decided to put him in the sink. It worked. He played for 15 minutes and was totally happy. Just what he needed to snap out of it so we could go to the library. I had to stay close because he's old enough that he could climb out and get into stuff. And also while he was in there Quinn climbed up on the counter and started rummaging through cupboards. I'm sure he thought "If Max is allowed up here then so am I!" ... Not so much. But thanks for the great idea. It worked!
Post a Comment