Saturday, September 25, 2010

how we're spending our weekend...

Last night, little Noah started running a fever. We gave him a little Tylenol and put him to bed early. He slept for almost 12 hours, waking up once for some water around 6am. Twelve hours for Noah is unheard of. He normally sleeps somewhere around 10. I mean, I appreciated the extra sleep, but of course, me being the mommy that knows something is wrong, it wasn't good sleep.
All day, he's been pretty sad. He was chipper twice. Once before his nap, he attempted to play like normal, toting his pots and pans around the house. Then he crashed and slept for 3 hours, waking up once again for some water. He giggled twice. Once when I sang to him, then again at Curious George in the snow.

But mostly...

He's been like this:

(this has been the look on his face pretty much all day. And yall know how smiley he is.
Definitely not feeling well.)



He hasn't been eating at all. He had a few crackers (turns out Annie's Honey Graham Bunnies are a great "sick food" for toddlers), a few grapes, half a banana, and lots of water.
I went against that whole mother's intuition (or just common sense in general) and let Brad talk me into letting him have some milk. Growing up, I'd always heard that if you drink milk while you have a fever, it goes sour in your stomach. I've never tested the theory. I figured it wasn't worth the risk. However, Brad thought he'd be perfectly fine, since he'd never heard of that before.

Sure enough, I went to change his diaper before I put him to bed, and he threw up everywhere. Guess who got to clean that mess up?? ;)
I quickly bathed him, and he cried the whole time. All he wanted was his bed. And I don't blame him. Brad got worried and called the nurse. She said it sounds like he has a little virus and recommended we give him watered down Pedialyte or Gatorade to help his tummy take the Tylenol, since he doesn't want food.

There's something about seeing your baby sick. It's awful. Especially if they're the pathetic, sweet kind of sick kid. The kind where they just lie there, lethargic, pitiful, and give you a half-smile as if to say, "Mommy, I love you, but I feel terrible..."
It really would help if Noah could talk. At least he could tell us what hurts. This guessing thing isn't so fun.

The other downside to sickness in our house is the threat it is to Brad. A simple cold can knock Brad out for days.* Whenever I used to get sick, I spent most of the time spraying Lysol and confining myself to one spot. So we're total germ freaks. I'm one of those moms that uses Germex and wipes down light switches and uses a grocery cart cover. Needless to say, we try very hard to keep our home germ free. Brad and I have already gone through the house and Lysol'ed everything Noah has touched. His clothes and blanket are in the wash. And for extra measure, Brad and I both have taken Vitamin C and Echinacea pills. I'm hoping all that talk about moms having a hyped up immune system is true now. I'd like to nip this thing in the bud ASAP.

*For those who don't know, Brad has a congenital heart defect, and his immune system is much weaker than most)


Brad just called me from Walmart and said he's gotten the Gatorade and also a Braun ear thermometer (the expensive brand... just in case the regular one wasn't good enough).

All you veteran parents out there, feel free to stop stifling the giggles. We're total newbies, we know.

7 comments:

team cowan said...

Sad! But I do have to admit - When we were all sick at the beginning of the year (Zach with mono and me and the boys with colds) the boys were SO MELLOW. It was awesome. They were the kind of sick that they didn't really whine or anything, they were just sleepy and really cuddly. I admit, I totally enjoyed it. That makes me sound like a really bad mom. But then the throwing up - That's the worst. There's been some kind of bug going around here and I'm not looking forward to it hitting our house. There's nothing worse than a barfing kid. And add to that washing sheets, blakets, clothes, bumper pads...... at 3 in the morning.... And then once it's all clean and everyone's settled back in bed, doing it ALL OVER AGAIN.

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

Yeah, and people wonder why I don't plan on having another one for awhile. lol. One barfing toddler is enough. I'm not made to handle 2 or 3 or 4. lol. Hope that bug skips over your house!

Charbelle said...

Praying he feels better fast!! He's such a sweetie!!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

No one is giggling. Something about a fever is so scary. Poor Noah and poor you!! Also I'll pray hubby doesn't get it!

BTW - Henry & Keira both had scary high fevers back in April. I was a MESS!

Hang in there mama!

Dani In NC said...

I usually make fun of overly cautious parents like you, but in the case of Brad's condition you have a good reason to be that way. So no giggling to be heard from this corner.

I'm with Team Cowan: if you have to deal with a sick kid, the mellow sickness is the best kind. Also, I doubt that Noah is suffering too much. Think back to those colds you've had where you weren't in pain but you just didn't have enough energy to move for a few days. That's probably how Noah feels.

Jess said...

I'm in the same boat as you. Livie has a fever and a cold and is totally miserable, and no matter that she's my third kid and I've been down this road before, she's still absolutely pitiful.

And she's so NOT mellow. She's foul, and whiny, and won't sleep at all, and can't breathe so she's not eating which is making her more grumpy...basically my weekend was spent doing nothing.

Ben and Sara said...

Poor Noah! I hate when kids are sick. I hope he is feeling better today!