I was originally going to title this one "Miserable Monday", but in the last couple of hours, that has changed.
Noah was up ALL night last night. Well not quite. He went to bed around 9:30pm. Woke up a couple of times crying and uncomfortable, so I of course didn't sleep well. Then he woke up at 3:30am, screaming and pathetic. I took his temp and it was at 103. Not good. I gave him more Tylenol and tried to put him back down. He cried again. When I went to get him, he threw up everywhere, fortunately all over the floor and not in his bed. And all he'd had was water, so easy clean up.
I decided he wasn't going to bed anytime soon, so we hung out on the couch and watched Curious George episodes. Thank the Lord for DVR.
He finally went back to bed around 6am. I thought to myself, "Finally..." Yeah. Not so much. He slept for 45 minutes, then woke up crying. It took me a good 10 minutes to calm him down. About an hour later, I got him to sleep again, only for him to wake up 45 minutes later again. It was like having a newborn again with the whole weird sleep schedule and all the crying.
I got him back to bed a little after 8am, then called the Dr's office for an appt. Brad stayed home to help me (although he seemed to do more sleeping in than actual sick-baby-duty), and he suggested that I make the appt for the afternoon. We assumed Noah would stay asleep for awhile since he had to be totally exhausted. Plus we gave him more Tylenol. At this point, we got his fever down to 101. I crawled into bed, completely beat, ready to sleep for hours.
And then Noah woke up crying around 9:30. Ugh. I was so mad at Brad, because he said he was still tired, even though he slept all night. It didn't help that I was a tad cranky from all that not-sleeping. But that's part of the deal, right? He works too many hours at his job (at weird hours) so that I can stay home. Which is what I want. So I really can't complain too much when my 24/7 mommy job isn't always roses.
I changed the appt time to 11:50. He did better this time at the Dr than he normally does. He still cried and was freaked out, but it wasn't nearly as bad as usual. Also... he hasn't lost any weight. He's still 28 lbs. He practically didn't eat for 3 days. He's eaten a few crackers, a few grapes, and LOTS of water. But his main diet has been about 20 small bunny crackers a day. And then he's thrown up everyday... not all day, but once a day a few times in a row.
(...and while we're on that, why is it that as soon as you get the puking kid into the bathtub or somewhere where it's okay to throw up without making a mess, that's when they quit??)
Anyway, the kid has got us totally baffled as to how he's eaten next to nothing for 3 days, didn't keep what he did eat down, and still managed to stay the same weight.
So the Dr did his thing. I was pretty certain it was either a virus or an ear infection (hence the screaming when he was sleeping). He looked at the ears, and those were fine. Then he took one look at his throat and said, "Yep, there's your problem!" He looked at us and said Noah has tonsillitis. They did a throat culture, and it's not strep. So really the only thing to do is keep giving him Tylenol for pain and fever.
He zonked out in my arms while we were there. Poor baby.
He woke up when I put him in the car. We all ate some lunch, then we all took a nap. About an hour into his nap, I heard Noah crying on the monitor. I ran in there to check on him. He was totally soaked, looking up at me with uncertainty, almost asking me, "Mommy, why am I all wet?!" You guessed it. His fever broke! I cleaned him up and changed his clothes while Brad changed his sheets and blankets. Then we all went back down for another couple of hours. At one point, Brad's phone rang. I woke up in a panic and in almost a dreamlike state, started searching for my cell phone, thinking it was too loud and going to wake Noah up and why can't I find it?! Frustrated and tired, I gave up looking and crawled back in bed. After a few minutes, it dawned on me that the ring I heard wasn't my phone. I looked and Brad's phone and sure enough, he'd had a missed call. I was so angry. I'd missed out on perfect sleep again because of Brad... at least that's what my cranky sleep-deprived self was convinced of. Poor Brad. He really is a lot of help and does so much, but seriously, when I'm irritable and sleep deprived, he stands no chance. He knows this though and doesn't hold it against me.
Anyway, the day was almost miserable.
But after his fever broke, he slept for another 3 hours. He didn't wake up until about 6:30-7pm. Brad was worried this meant he wouldn't sleep tonight, but I didn't care. Noah obviously needed it.
He woke up sad and cranky, but as the night went on, he turned into his normal self almost. He actually played. He watched Curious George and clapped along instead of staring blankly at the screen. He ATE. I was so thrilled. He just now got into the bed. I realized I forgot to give him more Tylenol and can't decide whether to bother or not. I guess I should so his throat doesn't hurt him tonight. But after that, I'm sleeping.
Oh, and I know this was a ridiculously long post and I rambled on and ON about this whole ordeal. But it's Noah's first big sickness. So I had to get it down before I forgot it all.
Hope everyone had a great weekend!
3 comments:
Poor baby!!! I am still dreading Brinley's first real sickness. ahhhh I'm going to be a wreck I know.
I seriously hope you got some sleep last night! And I hope Noah is still feeling better.
You and I are so alike. I get mad at Rich for the same stuff. :-)Always easy to blame the hubby.
Kiawah! I know all about Kiawah :)! Nice to meet you, lovely blog here!
Post a Comment