Thursday, September 23, 2010

wake-up call

I'm officially a big girl now. I got myself some life insurance. Actually, I already had some, but this is a bigger policy. Also, it wasn't purchased by my parents.
Anyway, so apparently, I haven't been to see a primary care doctor in forever (I'm bad about putting that stuff off). Yesterday, they sent a nurse to my house to make sure I'm not dying or something. Noah freaked. She pulled out her medical equipment, and he's no dummy. He just knew the pediatrician had conspired against him and sent that mean lady to give him more shots. He sobbed the same way he did a few weeks ago at his check-up.
I had to put him down in order to weigh myself (I've already been weighed with him... no thank you). He sobbed, so I leaned back to hold his hand. Once she wrote it down, I picked him back up to comfort him. I happened to notice the number she wrote down. It was 10 lbs more than what I thought I weighed. 10 pounds, people. That's not right. There's no way I gained 10 lbs in a week. Sure, I kinda forgot my diet a few times when we were hanging out with friends or when Brad convinced me to get some ice cream. But that wouldn't make me gain 10 lbs. In a week.
As politely as I could, I asked her if this number was correct and explained I had just weighed myself last week and the number was much lower. She let me do it again.
This time, I weighed only 5 lbs more than I thought I did. I could live with that. I'd eaten not too long before, and I was wearing jeans (what was I thinking??). And then she did what every single stinkin nurse should do... she gave me 3 freebie pounds. She might possibly be my new best friend. That I'll never see again.

She then instructed me to pee in a cup. Umm.... try doing that with a panic stricken one year old, clinging to mommy for dear life. Brad was in a work induced coma upstairs, but he was my only hope. He managed to wake himself up enough to keep Noah alive for a few more minutes. This was done by sitting up a little in bed and putting on Curious George, while making sure Noah didn't fall off the bed. He's totally dad of the year. I might get him a mug.

So while I didn't gain 10 lbs, it freaked me out. I had a major wake-up call. I don't have that much to lose, but it's at the point where eating a couple more salads during the week just isn't going to make it go away. I was doing great there for awhile. Only eating fruits, veggies, lean meats... and an occasional treat. But now? Well, I've been slacking off.
But not anymore.
I've been taking Noah on more walks in the evening, now that we're not in danger of spontaneously catching on fire from the ungodly heat. And yesterday morning, on our walk, I actually jogged. Me. The non-runner. And I enjoyed it. At least until one of the wheels on his non-jogging stroller started sputtering. I figured it might not be a good idea to continue. I'd rather keep my kid safe.
But I might start going for a jog every now and then, now that it's cooler. And it might be time to pick Tony Horton back up and endure looking at that annoying Dreya girl. Seriously, she looks like she might come through the screen and beat me up. And then walk back to Tony and be a total kissbutt. Teacher's pet.

Anyone tried the Zumba thing? It looks fun, but I'm sooooo not coordinated. I'd like to go to one of their classes, but I refuse to try it by myself. I'm not going to be the idiot in the back that slows the class down because I tripped over my own feet. Or worse, they thought I was having some kind of a weird stroke, so they stop the class, only to find out that's just how I dance. This is why I don't go to a gym. It's much less embarrassing for me to have stroke-like workouts in the comfort of my own livingroom...

5 comments:

Charbelle said...

Oh my goodness that last part made me laugh out loud!! You would so not have that experience.
You are gorgeous, first of all. The thing about excercise, running, walking, Tony Horton, is that when you're done you feel better in general. All those endorphines are released and you feel good about life.
If you have netflix you can try different workout DVD's I like Denise Austin. I have a bunch and I'll share. Also if you wanted to try a 5K they are lots of fun, Noah can be with you, and if he is then that means you get to start a minute earlier. There's a 5K at UNCC on 10/23 and if you didn't want to do that one I'll check the calendar and run one with you.

Jess said...

Welcome to the club. I'm on a postpartum plateau, and just need to get it together and lose the weight. It's driving me crazy, but I've been SOOOO unmotivated. Maybe with summer being gone and the specter of oversized sweaters has made me complacent.

*sigh* I so get it.

team cowan said...

I'm trying to get back into Zumba. We have a new community center here in town which is MUCH better than the old a/c-less legion hall where they've been having the classes. Tuesday night I went and it was the good old zumba/dancing I was used to. I'm super uncoordinated and have to remind myself to just pretend I'm dancing so that I don't get too hung up on doing the moves just right. It's pretty fun. BUT, then I went last night. They changed it so that on Wednesdays it's zumba + weight training/jumping rope. OUCH. I had the smallest weights they had and it was killing me! And I couldn't jump rope to save my life. I tried so hard to stick it out, but my vision started clouding and I was starting to see stars and hear the trains rushing in my ears so I left the room and walked laps in the parking lot until I heard them start the cool down 15 minutes later. There was NO WAY I wanted to pass out in a room full of women! I'm such a wuss. Oh well, I still got a good workout. But I think you should give Zumba a try. Even if you look stupid doing it. Everyone looks silly the first time. But it really is fun.

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

You are so funny! You're a skinny minnie! :-)

Zumba is HARD. I tried it and had to leave after a half hour. My body just doesn't move like that!

Dani In NC said...

First off, I will try to ignore the fact that you are stressing out over five pounds :-P. I think a few salads probably WOULD knock that right out.

As for Zumba, my 60-something boss does it once a week and she likes it. I'd love to try it myself but I haven't seen a class that works with my schedule. I think you should give it a go.