Tuesday, September 21, 2010
when big business ruins a good thing
I'm sure most of you have seen Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives with Guy Feiri, right? Well, there's a local diner that's been operating for yeeeears here called The Penguin, and it was featured not too long ago on the show. We all thought it was pretty cool. That was until the property owners realized how much more business the diner was getting since that show.
As a result, they offered the owners there an opportunity to be involved in the franchise. They're making it into a chain...
The guys refused. It's a one-of-a-kind, and the experience there can't be forced or recreated. Unfortunately, the property owners also own the name, so it's not like the restaurant owners can just take their business elsewhere (for an official news article, go here). My stepsisters hung out there all of the time, and both are pretty heartbroken. Their granddaddy used to take them there all the time as kids, so it's special to them. Most of the loyal customer base will be boycotting and instead, will be heading around the corner to the Diamond, a new restaurant that the Penguin owners are starting.
It's just sad that big business has to come in and ruin great places like this. I mean, I'm all for growth and more jobs, etc... but do we really need another burger chain??
As my stepsister put it, "It's a sad day in the neighborhood..."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I just read this article. They featured Cabo Fish Taco on the Diners, Dives and Drive Ins and now they're always packed too. But the good thing with them is that they expanded at the same location.
My dad loves The Penguin (but not as much as he loves The Dish just scross the street from it). They live just a few miles from it. And I thought The Diamond was already a business. Like, for years and years now. I wonder if it's reopening or something like that. It's always a shame to have your favorite little secret places "discovered" and totally ruined. I've also eaten at Cabo Fish Taco just after they opened a while ago, and I still crave it. I have to say though, it is nice to see those parts of town that used to be really scary turn into these sweet artsy neighborhoods. It's sure made the value of my parent's and brother's houses go up!
Post a Comment