Friday, October 29, 2010

Flashback Friday: Halloweens Past

So for some of my newer readers, I guess I should go on and inform you that my family has never been big on Halloween. We just never got into the whole celebrating the "day of the dead" or whatever. It just seemed silly to have a day where murder was deemed cool. Or hypocritical to dress up as anything that represents evil, then turn around and celebrate Jesus' birth a couple weeks later. Anyway... I've since learned to lighten up a tad. Actually, I've participated in Halloween type stuff before. I even went trick-or-treating when I was 12. *gasp* I'm such a rebel.
Being married to Brad, it's pretty much impossible to avoid Halloween. He seems to think it's fun, so I've caved a little over the years. We dress up, hand out candy to the kids, and then we'd head over to a church for their fall fest (my old church used to have pony rides, games, one of those big bouncy slides, and that trampoline bungie jump thing, etc). It was a lot of fun, because we'd dress up our furry kids and take them... and they proceeded to eat all of the dropped candy off of the ground.
I'm not sure what's going on this year. Not many churches in our area are doing anything. Which really isn't a big deal. Noah's too little to do any of it anyway. We're going to take Noah around our circle, really just to show him off in his costume. I don't really want to get him started on the sugar addiction just yet (geez, I sound like such a Debbie downer, don't I?? I promise I'm a fun person!! lol).

Anyway, here's a sample of some of our past Halloweens:

Before a church thing... we could dress up as anything found in the Bible
(which also included any kind of animal).

Brad as a vampire. The coolest part about his costumes is that his mom used to make them all herself. They won the costume contest at their church every year. Once, his dad went as Miss Piggy. :)

Brad (on the bottom left) with his brother Ben, sister Leslie, and a bunch of their cousins.
He got to be his favorite Ninja Turtle, Raphael.

Brad and his family members spent a lot of time at the hospital, so they have a TON of hospital wear. This made our costume idea pretty easy that year. We took my little brother trick-or-treating that year.
I'd say he was pretty successful. Who could deny candy to this cute face?? :)

I had to post this one, just because it's too darn cute. It's my neice Skyler as a dalmation.

Carving pumpkins with my little sister Madison and neice (Madison's bff) Skyler
(she's the one that usually goes to the beach with us).

Weren't they the cutest??

Anyways, hope everyone has a fun and safe Halloween weekend!! I'm pretty sure we're having trick-or-treaters both Saturday and Sunday night... so we're getting prepared and getting plenty of candy! Better to have too much than too little, right?? :)

And on that note... I fit into my skinny jeans this morning!!!


(ahem... I didn't say I was necessarily comfortable... but they're on and I can breathe... and there's not a serious mushroom top going on. I think I'll celebrate and have a KitKat.)



4 comments:

Charbelle said...

LOVE the pictures!!!! Can't wait to see Noah's costume!!! YAY FOR FITTING IN YOUR SKINNY JEANS!!!!!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Super cute pictures. My parents HATE Halloween (b/c it's pagan) so they never made a big deal about it growing up. Now I love it b/c I can put my kids in a cute costume and take pictures. I'm not taking them trick-or-treating either. It's too dangerous in the city and they don't even like candy except for the occasional sucker. :-)

Jess said...

I've never been trick or treating. As a kid, we didn't "do" Halloween, ever. But, my kids love it. They love dressing up, and playing with their friends, so we have fun with it. They're not allowed to be icky things. No witches or vampires or such. But for the most part? It's a day to have fun.

(Plus I get Kit Kats galore)

And yay on your skinny jeans! Mine already won't button. Sheesh.

Dani In NC said...

I may have mentioned this before, but I had never even heard of people who objected to Halloween until my family moved to NC. When I was a kid, I don't remember anyone dressing up as anything scary. It was all superheroes, firemen, and the like. My kids usually avoid anything gory, but I may let my son be a zombie this year.