Thursday, November 11, 2010

fiddlyfart.

Well, I can't stand plagarism or just any lack of creativity in general, so I refuse to steal my friend Jess's "blurb" word, and the word "random" just gets thrown out there a little too much.
My father-in-law used to tell Brad to stop fiddlyfarting and get back to work (or whatever he was supposed to be doing), and it always made me laugh hysterically. Separate those two words and they're just ok funny... but put them together, and it never ceases to make me smile.
So my word for "random" now? Fiddlyfart.

I'm tired of being thankful...
Ok, not really. But I always put too much pressure on myself. As if I'm letting the whole word down if they don't get to see what I'm overwhelmed with gratitude for today. Sorry to keep you waiting.
So I'll resume the thankfulness when I have some nice pictures to go with it. I think I'll do a cluster of thankful posts all together. Saves time and you won't have to get sick of reading me.

I'm finally feeling a little better. The fever disappeared yesterday, so that's made a huge difference. So unfortunately, I can't blame tonight's post on medication. I'm pretty exhausted though. We'll go with that.

I've been invited to two baby showers for Saturday, both are for cousins of mine. Neither of which I'm close to, but it's nice to be invited. Plus, I love shopping for cutesy baby things. Brad's coworkers have put in a request to see us tomorrow, so we'll be stopping by Target. I figure while we're there, I can grab a couple of things. Two birds and all that.
I always like to peruse the registry before I go, just to get an idea of what I want to buy before I get in the middle of it and get all overwhelmed and spend an hour trying to decide between the practical box of diapers or the frilly onesie with a bunny's tail on the booty. (ps. don't you love baby clothes with ears and tails??)
One of the items on one girl's registry caught my attention. It was an alarm for the bath water. I guess in case it gets too hot, it sounds off an alarm?
I think you know where I'm going with this.
At first glance, it looks like an amazing invention. And maybe I'm being too quick to judge here. But it seems to me that if you're giving your baby a bath, you should probably check the temperature before you put them in the tub. The only possible way that the bath water is going to suddenly change temperature (other than someone flushing the potty I guess) is if YOU change it. I don't know many newborns that just hop on up and move the nozzle over a tad. And even if this is for a toddler, are you planning on LEAVING your baby?? Bathtubs are not something I mess with when it comes to baby safety. There have been waaaayyy too many little ones lost, just because their parents walked away for 2 seconds.
Ok, so to sum up...
1. Newborns can't change temp.
2. Parents aren't leaving in order to give toddler a chance to change temp.
3. While in the process of bathing the baby, you're in constant contact with the water.

Sooo... what is this for again?
I mean, if you're that concerned, go turn the water heater down to a safe level. Just in case.

Weddings and babies. So easy to waste money. And I'm sooooo guilty.

***

I think I'd like to go antiquing.
Granted, I don't know the first thing about it. If it's expensive, if it takes a long time, if it's a total waste of time...
But saying it makes you feel kind of cool. "I'm going antiquing this weekend..." like you just have all the money in the world to spend on frivolous home decor such as an old ottoman from the 1930s. Like walking in a diamond store all dressed up in the only fancy outfit you own and pretending you could buy them out.
This may or may not have been done by us at some point.

***

Noah is getting a mullet.

***

I think it's kind of interesting how people are starting to use places like Starbucks and Panera as their own personal office.
They sprawl all of their gear all over the table... laptops, papers, books... and proceed to take phone calls (while another is ringing), making big business deals, planning corporate takeovers. All while I eat a bagel. Have you had the Hazelnut Cream Cheese at Panera? It's delicious. Just try not to trip over the computer cables on your way to get it.
I'm not against people meeting in these places at all. Or to do some studying. Whatever. I just find it fascinating when people set themselves up there all Donald Trump-like and don't get distracted in the least by my kid throwing his peanut butter and jelly on their shoe. Just kidding. Noah's very well behaved in restaurants.

***

My house hates me.
I clean it and clean it and clean it, and somehow... it keeps getting dirty, over and over and over again. I'm worried my husband thinks I'm a total Peg Bundy. Just sitting on the couch all day, watching soaps, eating chocolate. Waiting for him to come home so I can take some cash and go shopping.
Who needs cash? I have a RedCard.


By the way, try googling Peg Bundy for images. There are some strange people out there. And I'm not sure how, but one picture was a little Asian girl eating a Cheetos sandwich?

Anyway, on a more serious note...

Thanks to all of the vets out there! To all of my family members, friends, and people I've never met. You're awesome and thank you, thank you, thank you!

It's almost the weekend!

6 comments:

Charbelle said...

I think the bath temp monitor is one of those things that you might register for because you think you need it without putting thought into the why of it. You know a lot of our friends have asked on FB for advice on what to register for because they don't want to register for something useless. I love shopping for wedding and baby gifts but oh my word it feels like EVERYONE in my life is telling that they are expecting right now. Loved this post, glad you're feeling better!!

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

Yeah, it's one of those things you pass by and are like, "OH, what a great idea!" and then afterwards, you realize, "Why am I ever going to need that?"

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

HA! No, antiquing is not for rich people. Or, maybe I'm just misunderstood. My sister and I LOVE to antique. So fun. I love random shizz. LOVE it. But I only ever spend max of like $20. I find the cheap crap. That I can spray paint and make pretty. Yea. Its fun. You should go.

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

you cracked me up today! sorry you are feeling ill. I googled Peg Bundy awhile ago for my post about leopard prints. Hilarious and scary...

Keira has a mullet too. Maybe Keira and Noah can get together and form an 80's band?

Have a good weekend and don't fiddlyfart around too much! Totally going to use that word now. :)

Jess said...

I've told you you can use "blurbs". Just ALWAYS link to me. (HAHA!)

Cass had a mullet once. It was a single curl down the back of her head. Looking back now I am sort of embarrassed, cause it was a really skinny curl.

And all moms' houses hate them. I sweep 5-6 times a day. it doesn't matter. My floors are always dirty. Welcome to live with kiddos.

Dani In NC said...

Is the person who registered for the bath temp monitor a first-time mom? I know that a lot of first-timers worry that they are going to do everything wrong, including accidentally scalding their child. I know that I have a higher tolerance for hot water than anyone in my house, and the water they all run for their baths feels cold to me.

If you think that your house is dirty with just the three of you in it, you would have a heart attack once you saw the state of my house. With six inhabitants, I settle for "not disgusting" :-).