Saturday, November 13, 2010

really?

(Fyi, Jess, this may not be a post for a pregnant lady to read. Just warning you...)

We have mice.
And not the kind you go to the store and buy on purpose. The uninvited kind.

I grew up with cats, both indoor and outdoor, so this was never really an issue in my home. But since we have dogs, we don't have a cat. I've wanted a cat, but my husband isn't sold on the idea yet. Plus, toddlers and cats aren't always a good mix. I can just see Noah grabbing its ear or something and getting a nice mark on his face as a result. The cat would not survive if that happened, so I'm really doing the feline world a favor and not adopting... yet.

Our dogs live outside. They used to be spoiled and live indoors, but that had to stop when I had Noah. You've seen them. The amount of fur is insane. And it sticks in the fibers of the carpet, so that you have to pick them out individually to get them all. It's gross and unnecessary. Dogs have lived outdoors for years. Ours will be fine. They have warm beds, a space heater, and fur coats. This is actually the time of year that Dodger is the most comfortable. For once, he's not hot.
So obviously, their food is also in the garage. And it took over 3 years, but the mice finally found it. They told their buddies about it, then one of them got smart and realized that our house was warm.

About a month ago, we started hearing this scratchy noise on our ceiling. I thought maybe a squirrel or birds found their way into our attic. Brad went up there with a flashlight, but never found anything. The noise stopped for a little bit, then suddenly started again. And then we noticed the garage. Grossness.

So we have mice.
I haven't decided if they're worse than ants.
I mean, in a cage at the store, I always thought they were kind of cute. Mice are cute, right? So why am I SO creeped out?? Seriously, I get chills. Probably the scratchy noise that wakes me up at night.

*sigh*

You'd think we live in some rural area on a farm or something. But farms don't usually have bad mice problems. Because they have cats...

Brad is planning their demise. And while I'm glad to get rid of them, I also am very wary. Because if you put a mouse trap up there, and the mouse gets caught.... then what? It dies, right? And then what?? What if Brad misses one???
I'm sorry, I know I'm being a total girl right now, but I cannot have a rotting mouse in my attic. That's where I keep my Christmas stuff! And Noah's baby clothes!

Gives me chills.

I wish there was a nice to way to ask them to please move.

5 comments:

Charbelle said...

I was at the farm one Christmas Eve and a mouse ran across the countertop in the kitchen needless to say, I SCREAMED. Ugh!!!! I hate mice!!! Keep us posted on how this is resolved!

Jess said...

we had mice down there in our house on 16. And OMG, were they hard to get rid of. Until we discovered the sticky pads. Put a dab of peanut butter in the middle, and lay them along the floorboards. Mice get stuck, but are still alive, so you don't have them rotting in your attic.

Cause if you don't get rid of them? Pretty soon you'll be finding mice droppings in your kitchen cabinets. *shudder*

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Got you beat! In one of my apartments in Chicago (about 10 years ago) we had RATS. It was awful. I can't even tell you about it. At least mice are cute (ish)

Dani In NC said...

I'm thinking I should have made better friends with the cat that used to roam between our back yards :-).

Reminisce said...

Just catching up on your blog. We had mice down the hill. Doug got the standard traps and put them in the attic. It was taken care of in about two weeks. I made him go check every night because I also did not want to have a decaying mouse in my attic (and hey, I'm a zoologist so I'm good with dead animals so I don't think you're weird at all).
Also, *DO* address the situation. I didn't for a while because I was feeling sympathetic for the little creatures. I had put some of the boys Christmas stuff up there and went to check it out and the mice had chewed it up. Then it was war. Went out and bought traps that day!