Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thankful Me

So my friend Anna came up with this idea with her friend, called "Thankful Me". They're counting down to Thanksgiving and stating something they're thankful for that corresponds to the letter. We all saw how well my Joy Challenge went. I just can't handle the pressure of blogging when I feel like I have to.
But I still wanted to join in.
So instead of counting down, I'm doing them all right here. In one post.
Here goes...

Traditions.
     They help make you. Whether it's picking that perfectly round, bright orange pumpkin out of the patch, visiting those less fortunate to help make the season a little brighter, searching for the ugliest Christmas sweater to wear to a fun party, picking out the perfect gifts to pack in a shoebox for a special child who you'll never meet, getting in your pj's and watching Charlie Brown as a family, lighting candles and singing "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" each night in December, getting the candy to fit just right on top of that heavenly smelling gingerbread house, or just soaking in the coziness of home and family. Traditions are wonderful. An intangible heirloom to pass down to our children, hoping they'll do the same. And as kids grow, friends move, loved ones pass on... we have the memories. Memories of a grandmother baking your favorite cookies. Of late night belly laughs with girlfriends. Of your baby sitting on Santa's knee for the first time. I'm thankful for traditions, for ones I get to pass down to my kids and for new ones we've yet to create.

Home.
     Gatherings. Warmth. Holidays. Movie nights. Babies. Visitors. Neighbors. Friends. Scattered toys. Spilled milk. Messy baby kisses. Dancing in the kitchen. Decorating. Birthday parties. Laundry. A lost box of crackers under the couch. Dishes. Candles glowing. Pancakes. Sidewalk chalk. Barking. Mail. Trash day. Swingsets. Bonfires. Baking. Giggles. "How did that get there?". Sleepovers. Pictures. Crafts. Wet floors from bathtime. Little feet. Hats with ears. Painting. Flowers. Dings in the walls. Creaks in the staircase. Handprints on the windows. Home is where I like to be.

Affirmation.
     Ever read the book The Five Love Languages? If not, you should head to your local library and check it out. One of the "love languages" listed is words of affirmation. While I'm pretty certain my main language is time, words of affirmation comes in close second.
     When Brad compliments my mothering skills or how nice the house looks after I've worked so hard or just telling me I look beautiful today makes me feel like I can take on the world. Having my mom tell me how gorgeous my latest craft is or my dad reassuring me of how proud he is of me... all of these send my little heart a flutterin'. You know how when you play racing video games, and they always have a power boost button? And once you've collected enough whatevers you press the boost and watch the little animated car/motorcycle/jet ski take off... well, that's how I feel when I hear words of affirmation. I can take off and zoom passed all of the other sluggish people in need of a boost, feeling confident that I'm the best I can possibly be right at this very moment.

Noah.
     I know, I know. Super obvious. But really, am I seriously going to pass up a chance to gush over how thankful I am for this little sugarbean? And yes, I call him that. I will still be calling him that when he's 16, and no amount of eyerolls will stop me.
     But if he keeps his darling personality, he probably won't care. He'll just eat it up with a spoon like I do him every time he crawls in my lap with a favorite book to read. I can see his little mind working so fast now, discovering and growing and learning. He's picking up everything we say and do, which is incredibly exciting and slightly terrifying. He's a little (big) mama's boy, and I'm lovin' every second of it.

Kindness.
     Yesterday, Noah and I hit that desperate state of needing to get OUT. We've both been a little under the weather lately, which means we've been hibernating. So I packed up the necessities, and we headed to the park. Now that he's walking, it makes it much easier to take him to fun places (less dirt on the hands and all that). As I was putting everything back into the car (when we were leaving), this little 80-something year old man came shuffling up. He saw me open the trunk to put the bulky stroller in, smiled, and offered his assistance. Now, it was obvious that I was much more physically capable of lifting it into the trunk, but it touched my heart that he was willing to help me... a total stranger.
     They need to make more men like this guy. How many women would LOVE to have a man so kindhearted as to help a lady with her baby? Where WAS he when I was busy trying to juggle a baby, groceries, carrier, etc??
     I'm thankful for kindhearted people. Those secret angels out there helping us out when our cars break down, giving us directions when we look lost, fixing us a meal when we've lost a loved one... even though they may not even know our name.

Friends.
     And not just the kind that are fun to hang out with, but the kind that are here to stay. No matter what. True friends accept you for who you are, no strings attached. As I get older, I'm becoming more and more aware of who these people are. Some are old, some are new, and some I haven't even met in person yet. They listen. They offer advice when asked. They respect you. They understand that if you have a different opinion, it's ok. It's not necessary to beat you over the head with their ideas chanting "one of us! one of us!" They call you up after a few weeks have gone by just to check in. One of my favorite moments of this past year was one night after Noah went to bed, I called up my bff to wish her a happy birthday. It was snowing, so she didn't get to go out. We were both hanging out at home in our pj's watching tv. Whenever we call eachother up, we typically talk for about 10 minutes to catch up. But something about her birthday night was different. Suddenly, we were 15 again, gabbing on the phone about anything and everything. Laughing hysterically at funny memories and weird things that had happened to us. After we hung up, my ear was sore. I looked at the clock, and we had talked for 3 hours! And it made me smile. That night is in the top ten list of the year. True friends are the kind that you can just be with.
Good friends are irreplaceable.

Unexpected blessings.
     Isn't it nice when you've been going through a really tough time, then suddenly, there's a breakthrough?? Or even just a break!
Answers to prayers, sudden clarity, financial help, an absolute miracle... unexpected blessings are the best. Like a Christmas present RIGHT when you need it. :)

Little things.
     And no, this one isn't deep. At all. I literally like LITTLE things. Before I had a baby, it was all I could do to not pick up baby cowboy boots and let out a big "AAAwwwwww". Thinking something could be that little made me swoon. Baby animals, tiny fingernails, little household decorations... it doesn't take much to please me. However, I like my diamonds big. So yeah. The cutesy little things stops there. ;)

Me.
     Just kidding. My real M is for Mercy.
     It's one of my character traits. I really didn't even realize it until I was in 7th grade and the whole school recognized me as merciful in one of our chapel services. But they were right. I hate seeing anyone eating alone. If someone has hurt me, offended me, or been mean to me; I'm quick to give second chances. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, realizing that nobody is perfect. And I appreciate it when mercy is bestowed upon me.
     But most of all, I'm thankful for the mercy of our Savior. Because before we even asked, he was already giving us mercy. Most of my favorite Bible stories involve God's mercy when judgement was expected. We have a merciful God, and I'm SO grateful for that. Because there are many times when judgement would've been more expected, yet he showed me mercy. Loving me through my fears and failures. Thank goodness for mercy.

Experience.
     It's so easy to think you know everything and have it all figured out... until you live it. All of a sudden, your whole viewpoint changes. Like being 16 and getting SO angry because your parents won't let you go to so-and-so's party, only to find out later everyone was drinking and got in tons of trouble. Then your whole viewpoint of your parents' not-so-dumb-after-all rules changes.
     My life has been one big roller coaster of experiences. Emotions running high, family dramas, scary life and death situations, and absolute happiness. Through just the last 10 or so years, the Lord has taught me how to have an open mind. To accept others for who they are, that their point of view matters, whether I agree with it or not. (fyi, you can accept that others are different and still be true to yourself). Because somehow, their experiences have led them there. All of us come from different walks, different backgrounds. I'm incredibly thankful for both the good and bad ones. It's taught me what's really important. All of those little piddly issues don't matter. It's knowing who you are and what you believe. It's loving on your family and doing what you have to for them. It's stretching yourself thin, both financially and physically, just to make it. It's cuddling with your babies, loving your spouse, and treating others with respect. For me, it's living a life of worship. It's being a blessing.

Obviously, everyone is busy this week and the blogging is going to be kind of sparse. But I still wanted to wish everyone a VERY happy Thanksgiving!!
Give thanks. Watch a parade. Eat some turkey. Love on your friends and family.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

3 comments:

Anna said...

I absolutely loved reading your post today! Great idea to just put it all in one. SO, now you can say you really did a countdown all the way ha!!
Anyway, I wanted to say you are a good writer. I feel like once I start reading, I'm there in that situation or feeling you are talking about. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Dani In NC said...

I appreciate traditions in theory. It saddens me when I read a news story about a tradition ending, like a restaurant where kids celebrated graduations closing down after 30 years. However, I am too lazy to maintain any of my own. For the past few years, ABM and I couldn't even be bothered to drag out the Christmas tree. With my luck, the kids will look back with fondness at us decorating the piano :-).

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

I love this post. So touching. And I love your new blog header! Adorable! Noah is so handsome. :-)