Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving

I'm honestly not a big fan of writing recaps (I enjoy reading them, but writing? not so much), but in a few years, I'll be glad I did. Plus I know yall are just dying to know what we did... right?



Brad had to work a little bit Wednesday night (yay Target...) to prepare for Black Friday. Before he went in, though, he was sweet enough to help me with the cleaning. I scrubbed and baked and scrubbed some more. Not that my house is in need of major scrubbing. It's just a mental thing. For some reason, I start seeing things that probably aren't there and have this major urge to deep clean. As if my guests include Southern Living's editor-in-chief and she (he?) is going to come in with white gloves and inspect. I tried to be smart and get my casseroles ready to stick in the oven and go ahead and bake the pumpkin pie. I also cooked the turkey breast that day, so I wouldn't have to cram it all in the oven on the big day.


("Cinderelly, Cinderelly...")

Domestic Diva

Every year since I was born, we've gone to my grandparents' house for lunch. As the years have gone by, two of the main families are now spending Thanksgiving at their inlaws' (the people not related to us); that way, they spend Christmas with us. Even so, we still have a pretty good sized crowd. Everyone was excited to see Noah walk. About 30 minutes into getting there, it was time for Noah's nap... but he was just too darn excited about seeing SO many people! He walked and explored and danced... totally happy baby. He played with some old toys (one belonged to my uncle who is now over 40).


"When's lunch??"


And then he crashed. We set his pack n play up in one of the back rooms (along with his air filter to drown out the noise), and he was OUT.
We also help decorate their tree. It's so fun going through their old ornaments... stuff they've had since my dad was a kid, snowflakes my great grandmother and her sisters made, and ones we made/gave them when we were little.
Last year, we started having Thanksgiving with Brad's family at our house. His mom just isn't able to put together a big meal like she used to. Before Noah was born, they were spending Thanksgiving at the Golden Corral. Because I love to cook for big crowds, I typically do it all. And it's a blast.

Except, this year? Noah napped and slept for over 2 hours at my grandparents' house. I didn't dare wake him up early. Every mama knows better than that. That's only used in desperation. We didn't get home until 4pm. My inlaws were coming at 6pm.
And we were out of diapers.
So Brad booked it to Walmart (thank the Lord for Walmart... not my first choice for shopping, but always there when you need them), and I got to baking with a toddler be-boppin' his way around the kitchen.
I have to admit, I was a tad panicked. I hadn't showered yet, I had like 10 different things that needed baking, and only one oven (oh to have a dual oven...). But it all worked out.
My sister-in-law and niece were the first to arrive (a little after 6), and the rest didn't get there until close to 7pm (high five for Kemper time!).
My cooking wasn't quite up to my standards, but it was edible. People ate it. I guess that's what counts.


Noah loves his cousins. He thinks the older ones are so fun to watch, and he's fascinated by his (slightly) older cousin RyRy. I'm pretty sure it was Ryan that got Noah moving on the whole walking thing. He wasn't all that interested until he started seeing someone his size up on two legs. And their cousin Kalyb (remember the Jacob look-a-like?) is so sweet with them. He gets down on their level and chases them, plays with them, helps them, tickles them. They think he's the best. And really, he's such a good kid. How many 13 year old boys really enjoy hanging out with a bunch of little kids and babies? He even sat at the kid table and seemed to have a good time.


I really didn't take as many pictures as I wanted. I was too busy for most of it, and then by the end of the night, I was worn out... and definitely too lazy to worry about lighting and all that. But it was a good day. We ate too much, had fun with family, and decided that next year, everyone is bringing a dish. It's just too hard for me to cook with a toddler and in a limited amount of time. That way, maybe I'll get a shower in before midnight. :)
The best part, though? On Friday, Noah and I both slept for two hours. And this is coming from the girl that does not nap. We just can't handle all that partying I guess.


Hope everyone else had a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

That picture of you scrubbing the floors is so cute! You are so pretty.

That Fisher Price boat Noah was playing with brought back memories (I had that same toy).

Finally that last picture of Noah is perfection. He is so happy and CUTE!

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Fun update!!! Noah is growing into such a big boy. I still don't believe that Brinley is getting into the toddler era. It makes me SAD to see her so independent (relatively).

And no worries, that was me too getting ready for Ryan's fam to come into town. I cleaned all day and night for a few days and preeeetty sure our place wasn't that messy but really, I didn't want my mil to comment! She wouldn't, and she definitely doesn't care, but still...there is just something when your in-laws come to visit!

Charbelle said...

LOVE this post!!! But Noah is getting way too big too fast, make it stop :) So glad y'all had such a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Anna said...

Noah is looking so grown up! He is so adorable. Our baby boys are not so little anymore, but in my eyes, they will always be my baby:) I know you feel the same way!