I don't know WHAT it is about today that's making people be so darn grumpy and weird.
If I have an opinion different than yours and voice it, don't tell me to "relax". Unless you see caps, a bunch of !!!, or any specific phrases that hint towards anger... then I'm relaxed. Plus, it's just so darn condescending. It's almost like saying "relax (ie. stop acting crazy)" when you're being totally rational. Usually it means that person just can't handle someone having an alternate opinion from theirs and discuss it without thinking you're out to get them. And really, the majority of people that tell me to relax (because, seriously, I'm one of the most laid back people you'll ever meet), seem to have a hard time relaxing themselves. So whatever.
(ps. Brad knows that if he really wants me to not be relaxed, all he has to do is act as if I'm actually freaking out. Works every time.)
It's so funny how people react when I finally open my mouth. Anytime I voice an opinion or make my beliefs clear, people freak. And I do mean "freak" in the actual sense of the word. ;) I asked Brad once why this is. Somehow he's able to say whatever the heck he wants and nobody cares. He can mean it or he can be joking. But if I do the same? People get all in a tizzy and want to debate with me. Brad said it's because people take what I say seriously, even if I'm joking, because when I say something, people pay attention. But really, the only ones that get upset are usually the ones that don't really know me and assume the worst about me.
***
And Christians. If you really want to help share the gospel and reach others for Christ, being rude and disrespectful really isn't the way to go. Sometimes it's easy to get all caught up in the Cause instead of the purpose. People want to be right. But when it turns people away? Definitely not productive.
I hate feeling like I have to defend people in my own religion. It's so irritating. You know how many times I've had to explain that Christians don't really hate Mormons? And then some crazy idiot comes along and starts preaching to a Mormon stranger (that's a friend of mine) about the evils of polygamy. Sheesh. Again... being right vs being loving.
Oh, and fyi, if Mormon missionaries come to your door, there's no need to turn all the lights off and hide... or get a gun. They won't hurt you, I promise. If you're really against what they have to say, do what my mom does. She welcomes them in her home, gives them food/water, is totally silly and chatty with them... but she politely tells them she's not interested.
Any of you Christians enjoy being randomly approached by an atheist out to prove everything you believe is stupid? Does it make you want to give up all of your beliefs? Or does it just solidify the fact that you don't want to have anything to do with them?
I understand there's such a thing as righteous anger. But you have to be careful not to let it turn into unrighteous anger. It's a very fine line.
Mean people suck.
Love. It goes a long way.
And this whole stupid billboard fight up in New York... wha???
Nothing says Christmas like a (im)proper public fight between atheists and Christians. And don't the majority of atheists basically not believe in any religious figure? No organized religion, etc? Yet, the ones funding these expensive billboards are the American Atheist Organization. So basically they don't believe in organized religion, yet they're organized. It's an organization against religious beliefs. Right. Ok.
I don't care if you don't want to celebrate Jesus' birth. Sure, I'd love it if you did. The more the merrier and all that. But I'm not going to make a big stink if you tell me "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". Or if your kids get more excited about Santa than the nativity scene. I know you don't mean to offend anyone personally.
So what's the deal? Is it hurting you that Christians are celebrating something that you don't believe in? Because it doesn't hurt me that Jews are celebrating Hanakkah.
And on that note... why just target Christianity during the holidays? If you're really wanting to get people's attention, go target Hanakkah (please don't, I'm only being facetious). Or Santa. Do you believe Santa is real? If not, why not post a billboard in Times Square saying that he's a total myth? I bet you'll win a lot of "converts" that way.
Anyone else getting John Lennon's "Imagine" playing in their head?
Anyway, I just think that so many people get way too caught up in making a statement that they forget that people have feelings. People can get hurt in the process.
Also, if you're going to preach tolerance, it has to be extended to everyone. For example, you want people to be tolerant of the more unique individuals, then you have to stretch that tolerance to the ones you have a hard time accepting. If you're more left winged and want conservatives to be tolerant of others with different lifestyles, cultures, etc... then you'd better be willing to accept the fact that this includes you accepting them as well. You can't preach tolerance and refuse it to a group you "don't get".
As for me? I don't preach tolerance. It's pretty much impossible. There's no way people are going to be okay with every single person's beliefs, perspectives, life choices, etc. Sure, you can be nice to their face, but as soon as they walk off, you'll just talk about how messed up that person is. Is that really tolerance? Instead, I encourage niceness. It's not hard to be nice to people. Smile. Tell them you hope they have a great day. Basically, act like you work at Chick-Fil-A. You know how they're always so overly nice and helpful? People generally like it when you're nice.
Yep. Love.
Goes a long way.
4 comments:
Great post Miss Hailey!!! Very well said!!
Very well said.
I don't think tolerance is achievable. But I think basic courtesy and respect is doable, and if we could just try to hit those, things would be so much easier.
I like this post, quite a lot.
Hailey (This is Ryan),
Great post, I have been thinking a lot lately about the same things. I will have to give you some specific examples when we all hang out soon! Can't wait to see you guys tell Brad I love him (In a purely innocent non-homosexual way of course). Oh and give Noah a big hug from his uncle Ryan.
Well said! Oftentimes, I am hesitant to tell people that I am a Christian -- not because I am afraid to defend my beliefs, but because I don't want to be lumped into the same category as the pushy Christians who give us a bad name. As for the winter holidays, I accept the sentiment and don't get hung up on whether someone said "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays".
Post a Comment