Wednesday, December 8, 2010

stuff that makes me happy

Sure, there are a lot of obvious things to be happy during the Christmas season, but wanna know one of my favs??

The UPS man.
No, we don't have a super attractive man. And there's no way you can say my kid looks like the mailman... he's all Brad.
So yeah, my affection for the UPS man is totally platonic.

Today, my Christmas cards are supposed to arrive, brought to me by the UPS man. Also? I ordered a couple of online items, and they should be arriving today too. So yeah. I'm like a little kid. Everytime a truck, car, school bus, bird passes by my house, I run to see if it's him. Not only because I'm excited to get my packages... but because of the dogs. Depending on the driver, it's happened before where they refuse to get out of their truck. I've also had to run out in my pj's to get the dogs before, as he continually honked outside. And then there was the infamous delivery moment where I'd put off my walk with Noah all day just to wait on him. I'd kept my dogs up all day. Finally, around 5pm, I figured he wouldn't be coming. I got all the way down to the entrance of our street... and here he came around the corner.
I ran (with a newborn in a non-jogging stroller) all the way back to our house. I could hear him in front of our house, honking and honking his horn. It was all I could do not to scream, "Wwaaaaaaittt!!!" But I was a little winded by that point.
Anyways, I've yet to hear him honk outside my house today. But I have a deep appreciation for UPS/FedEx workers. They work their rear ends off (especially during the holidays), carrying heavy packages up stairs, and ride around without any AC or heat or radio. After getting to know several different ones throughout my years at the JB, I try to treat my delivery people nice (and not tell them to quit honking and causing me further embarrasment over my dogs).

I've also discovered the fabulous benefits of Groupon. I bought $40 worth of books for $20. I didn't find a whole lot of books that I thought Noah would enjoy, but I knew I'd find something for myself. And I did. I ordered Noah this cute book for Christmas:


And then a little early present for myself...


I know. I have issues.
But I only have one of her cookbooks (the one I got autographed by the main lady herself!!!), so I need to add to my collection. Right? Anyone? Yeah ok. I may have my needs and wants mixed up again.

1 comment:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

I LOVE Paula Dean too. And the recipes that you posted on your foodie site were delicious (I made 3 of them for Thanksgiving!)