Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Stuff

In the last couple of weeks, I've realized something about our home.
We have too much stuff.
I'm a pack rat. I have no problem admitting it. I save everything. A yard sale is my worst nightmare, because I'm always scared I'll regret selling something. I might need it someday, or remember its specific meaning or memory. Brad is (almost) as bad. We have storage bins full of memories... diplomas, pictures, books, ticket stubs, favorite old toys, you get the idea. It's not that big of a problem, since we have an attic (um... and a mom who rents a storage building).

Because of my fear of getting rid of gifts, hand-me-downs, etc... I've kept everything from my childhood and teenage years. My parents would travel to places like NYC or Chicago and bring me back something (a piggy bank or tea set or doll or something). I have random candleholders that once matched my old childhood bedroom. I have picture frames galore. My great-grandmother's old music box, dried flowers that Brad gave me, and little trinkety type stuff everywhere. And while I'm ridiculously attached to this stuff... it's really cluttering things up.

I need to simplify it all.
I almost want to strip my house down to nothing. Start over. Pick and choose specific things that will continue to make my home look the way I want it to. Everything else? Put them away for later. Because you never know. We may become millionaires one day and I'll have a massive mansion and then I'll need all that stuff to fill it with! ;)

But I feel like I need to start from scratch. Put all of my tiddlybits (like that word? I think I just made it up, but I'm too lazy to check) in one corner of the house and then start new.
Declutter, like crazy.
I'm taking a BIG bunch of info from the Nester's Less Messy House series. So many awesome tips.
I'd like to hunt thrift stores and antique shops for the kinds of things I'm looking for. It's taken me a long time, but I'm pretty sure I've figured out my style. I'm somehow a weird blend of fancy, smancy Victorian classiness (my parents' style) mixed with Pottery Barn (clean and sophisticated) and Anthropologie (sorta artsy/vintage). I know, I'm odd. You should hear my list of favorite music.
Despite not really having a set "label" for my personal style, the only word that keeps coming to my mind is pure. (and oh, this word is making its way through so much more than just my home...)
But really, when I walk in my home? I want it to feel pure... clean, happy, safe. All those good words.

I've had a blast though. Searching through blogs and magazines for ideas and inspiration.

Some ideas I like...

(except I think I'd like red tulips better for our house... but really, how cute is this??

(Totally putting that saying in Noah's bathroom! If you can't read it, it says, "Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you." from the Yellow Cape Cod)

(these are from the Nester's blog)

I love these colors:

I love the "gallery wall" look!

And then this from my sweet (and very talented) friend Anna...
I love how she used the old window pane as a backdrop. I seriously can't get it out of my mind when I look at my mantle now. lol.


From HGTV...




I'm doing my best to take things I already own and use them in new ways. It's been a lot of fun getting creative.
And I have the sweetest husband who has yet to complain about the constant rambling off of ideas. He just smiles and tells me I'm cute. Poor guy. I've lately extended my obsession to gardening...

Anyone else out there dreaming??

6 comments:

team cowan said...

I recently read this article ( http://www.sunset.com/home/natural-home/zero-waste-home-0111-00418000069984/ ) and it totally changed my view on "stuff." They're a little extreme, but sometimes our excess treasures/memories/JUNK could use a little extreme. I read it to Zach and that night we cleaned the crap out of this house. Got rid of tons of stuff. Anyways, let me know what you think of it. And good luck decluttering.

Anna said...

Oh I am so excited! My mantle was featured on a blog besides mine:) you are too sweet, hailey! i wish we lived near each other...we could really have fun antiquing together..i'm currently looking for a "man station" for our kitchen so that I can see my kitchen table again...

Charbelle said...

I feel you on wanting to hold onto the memories!!! I have all my old yearbooks and a lot of papers. My house is pretty much all stuff from my family. I'm impressed you have your style figured out!!! I just make it work with what I have :) I agree Anna's wreath is awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

I have the opposite problem from you. I don't keep anything and I'm afraid one day I won't have anything to hand down to my children. I need to be a bit more sentimental!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

That dining room is gorgeous. This post makes me happy that we still don't have our house! I will be able to start from scratch essentially. Yipee!

Dani In NC said...

We came to this realization about 10 years ago when we bought this house. There have been a few relapses but we've gotten pretty good at keeping the clutter to a minimum. Our problem is that we don't know how to organize the stuff that's left, so it looks like clutter even though it is all things that we use. I can't get past that to think about actually decorating my house.