(Fyi, I'm taking this verbatim from my recipe blog, so sorry to those of you who follow that one too. I'll just be repeating myself, but at least the pictures are new...)
I know there are a lot of learning tools out there for kids, and the majority of them are fabulous.
But one in particular that I'm a BIG believer in is baking.
Getting in the kitchen with your kid is so good for them. While cooking is good, baking is usually my go-to activity with my toddler. Cooking tends to involve raw meat, hot skillets, and knives. Yeah, not quite there yet. :) But baking? Definitely an appropriate learning tool.
Sure it's a little messy. But that's ok. Spilled sugar can always be cleaned up.
I love that my little guy gets to feel different textures, try different tastes (flour = blech, sugar = yum), develop fine motor skills by helping me pour ingredients in, see what happens when you blend these things together, and eventually learn about measurements.
But best of all?
It's full-on mommy/baby time.
And when they're grown? It'll help boost confidence.
Not only do they get to see and taste the results of their work, but they feel validated when mom (and dad too) praises them for helping and doing such a great job.
One of my goals to make our home seem more cozy and inviting is to have something freshly baked for my family, whether it be homemade bread or cookies or whatever. Plus, I really enjoy it.
The other day, Noah helped me make some Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies, and we had a blast.
I should probably include the fact that I dreamed about making cookies with Noah when I was pregnant. I really wanted to see a tiny person, standing on a big chair, helping me pour ingredients and watching the mixer. But this little guy?
He's smart.
He's already figured out the best part of baking... the tasting!
(Sorry, the lighting was weird in the kitchen that day, and I didn't have time to fiddle with it. I was just trying to hurry and get the moment...)
Eating the brown sugar that spilled...
HAPPY SUNDAY!!!
(ps. GO STEELERS!! haha)






5 comments:
Your son looks so cute...
Just think of what he could bake at the age of ten:)
My son loves cooking and he's ten, maybe if I get serious with baking he'll bake too:)
I love baking with my girls too! It's one of my 2 year old's favorite activities.
So cute!! I need to see if Keira is ready for baking. She liked decorating Christmas cookies so maybe she is!
What fun!
Looks like he is awfully fond of what he cooked up :)
This is so cool that you already have him helping out!! I really want to try that cookie recipe, sounds FABULOUS!!!
Post a Comment