Thursday, January 27, 2011

Homemade Compost Bin

I have to admit, I don't consider myself all that granola-like. I do recycle and try to eat clean, but we also use disposable diapers, too many paper towels, and drive a small SUV. So yeah, can't really call myself a hippie quite yet. BUT...

I've been wanting to make my own compost for awhile now, actually since this past summer. I don't like the idea of using chemical fertilizer on our garden. Plus, it's just so darn expensive to feed our garden every year. Also, my boy is obsessed with bananas right now. Every time he's hungry, all I hear is "Nana! Nana!". When we're in the grocery store, he knows where they keep them and as we're walking along, I'll hear a very small, "Nana" coming from the cart. :) He also loves apples and grapes, which leaves peels and vines. I knew it was so wasteful to just throw those in the trash, when I could be converting them into plant food.

My problem? We just couldn't justify spending so much money on those fancy compost bins/tumblers. I've searched and searched, but it just seemed so silly to spend that much on something that's just going to be storing dirt. So I googled "homemade compost bins" and found a video on about.com. The girl is definitely crunchier than me, but she makes a good, cheap compost bin. :) Brad helped me put mine together last weekend, and so far so good.

(don't forget to hit the pause button on the music, if you really want to watch the video...)




Homemade Compost Bin Supplies

Here is what you'll need:

•an old garbage can
•a watering can or hose
•nails
•hammer
•2 bricks

*I'm pretty sure you could just use a screwdriver as well, and it'd probably be a lot faster. I think that's what Brad did (I don't know, because he got up at 6am that day to do it, and needless to say, I was still out. I'll have to ask him when he gets home from work.

Directions

Poke Holes in the Garbage Can

We will want to begin by puncturing holes into the old garbage can. Organic material needs oxygen in order to break down into rich fertile compost so you want to make sure there is air circulating in the container. To do this I am simple taking a nail and hammering it into the side of the container. Continue making holes until you have covered the entire can. My bin looks like this.

Position the Compost Bin

Now we are going to take our bricks, lay them on the ground and place our bin on top of the bricks. This step is especially important for anyone using a metal garbage can as they have the tendency to rust if they are placed directly on the ground.

Compost Bin Materials

For our compost bin we are going to want to use two types of materials, green material and brown materials.
Brown includes:
•cardboard
•junk mail
•newspaper
•wood shavings

Green materials include:
•grass
•raw vegetable peelings
•tea bags or coffee grinds
•weeds

Add Contents to the Compost Bin

Begin by filling the can in alternating layers of green and brown material. You will want to aim for an equal serving of both. Don't worry about filling the bin all at once. You can simply add items through the week.

Compost Bin Moisture

You will want the contents of your bin to be a moist as a wrung out sponge so, if your material looks a little dry go ahead and water it. Put on the lid and give it a good roll.

For the best results you will want to roll your bin at least once a week and water it if it becomes too dry. Do this, and your compost should be ready in 4-8 weeks.

See? Easy peasy. :)

1 comment:

Dani In NC said...

Good luck with your first batch of compost! The closest I've ever gotten to composting is throwing some eggshells, coffee grounds, and banana peels on the garden patch out back and covering them with dried leaves. The pile didn't get hot enough to break down very well, but when I put dirt over that and planted the veggies they grew like crazy.