Thursday, January 27, 2011

rainy day FUN

Yesterday was all nasty and rainy. I had already checked the forecast, so I was prepared. For months, I've been wanting to take Noah to this new place they opened up in my old hometown.
I'm not gonna lie... I hated the building when they first built it. Because in order to construct it, along with a parking deck, they had to tear down the old True Value Hardware store, the original site of Loretta's Flowers, and Mr Colson's barber shop. It was sad. I'm terrible with change.

But I have to say, I totally caved. They won me over.



It's called Discovery Place Kids, and it's ah-maz-ing. It's geared towards little guys (obviously), and they really did do an incredible job of making learning fun.
They have different stations... like a grocery store, a vet, a fire station, a big climby thingy... anything you can think of that would fascinate a kid. Every hour, they put on a little show for the kids, and they can go on the stage and dance too if they want. Totally cheesy, but totally fun.
There's an area for toddlers too. If your kid is under 3, they can go in this little fenced in area to play. That way, you can let them run around without getting run over by a 7 year old. :)

I wasn't sure what Noah was going to think. Remember, the only kids he really plays with are his cousins. So for me to stick him in a massive playground with a bunch of noisy children? I was a tad worried he'd get all shy and antisocial on me.

For the first couple of minutes, he held onto my leg as he took it all in. After that?


"Um... ok! I'll be over here if you need me!"


He even gently nudged some kid out of his way! (SO not like my boy...)
Had he gone up to him and intentionally pushed him out of meanness, I would've gotten all "I don't think so mister..." But that's not what Noah does. His gentle nudge was his way of saying, "Excuse me". Ok fine, more like, "Excuse me, you're in my way." Luckily, the mom was right there and had to explain to her kid (who was around 3) that Noah is little and doesn't understand. Whew! Thank goodness for understanding moms.

We met up with our friends, Jess and Alice. Alice is about a year older than Noah and is a total doll. She's growing up so fast, it's ridiculous.

In the toddler area, they had this cool water table with two different levels. The upper level had little highchairs attached so they could play while their feet dangled. Whoever designed this place absolutely has kids... because they provided adjustable waterproof aprons. The water table had fountains and toys and all kinds of cool stuff. I'm pretty sure this was the biggest hit for Noah. He's loved water since he was a newborn, so it didn't surprise me that this was his favorite.

(Alice is the blond cutie on the left)
(Oh, and fyi, we do own a brush for this kid. Promise. But he had on a hoodie outside, and well, that's the result. Oh well).





He loved the fountain, obviously.
But then he found this toy. And he was fascinated. Just look at that face.



The trouble with trying to get two toddlers to play together in a very large area is that they kind of... don't. Alice, being the little lady, went and did some shopping and healed a sick dog. Whereas Noah? He needed to go exploring.

So we walked.


And walked...


And walked.


We eventually caught up with Jessica and Alice again. They were coloring in the art section (where they have different tables set up with chalk, Play-doh, crayons, paint, etc; also with aprons).
Noah was a good sport and gave it a whirl.


But for some reason, none of his markers would make color marks with the lids on? Hmm...


As it turns out, markers are way more fun to throw on the floor.


And just like his daddy, he'd much rather be driving a red convertible than piddling around with all that artsy stuff anyway...



 See that screen to his right? That's a video monitor that's attached to a play bank on the other side, complete with that suction tube thing and all.
A little kid in the bank kept trying to talk to Noah, and Noah kept looking around like, "Where is that coming from??"


And if a red convertible doesn't quite do the trick?
Pull out the big guns.

NASCAR, baby.



Pretty sure I've got the cutest driver in town.
Watch out Jr.

We really did have a blast. Actually, so much that we both crashed for a couple hours when we got home. :)
Can't wait to take Brad with us next time. And my whole family now wants to go with Noah, just so they have a legitimate reason to check the place out!

6 comments:

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Awesome!!! We were gonna go over Christmas break, but I thought Brinley was still too young (for the $$ to be worth it, ya know??) We definitely need to hit that up when we come some time during the summer!!!!

Cute pics!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

It looks a lot like the Children's Muesum in Chicago and in Bloomington although the high chairs next to the water pool is genius!! Looks like you had a great day! Did Noah sleep like a champ last night? lol

Anna said...

Oh my goodness! can you say PLAYDATE??? SO TOTALLY CHECKING IT OUT next time we are in town!!!! Absolutely loved this post:)

Anonymous said...

what an amazing place! Looks like a lot of fun!

Dani In NC said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. That's one of the perks of only have one kid -- you can have fun outings like this without emptying your wallet or chasing around after three kids at once.

Charbelle said...

This looks wonderful!!! I am keeping it in mind for the next time one of my friends is in town who has kids!!! Noah is seriously growing up way too fast, make time stop :)