Friday, February 25, 2011

18 Month Stats

Weight: 32 lbs (95%)
Height: 34" (90%)

Noah had his 18 month visit on Tuesday.
He's so funny at the doctor now.
While we're in the waiting room, he plays with the little loopdidoo thingy (as I cringe at the THOUGHT of the amount of germs crawling on that thing...), rocks the rocking chairs, smiles at other moms and dads, and explores the whole area. He cracks me up at how comfortable he gets in certain places (after an initial 10-15 minutes, of course). He doesn't bother anybody, but it's funny to watch him watch other people.

So the waiting room part? Total breeze.
Then he sees his nurse. The one who has been giving him shots since he was a newborn.
He's met other nurses when his main pediatrician is busy (last minute sick visits, etc), and he doesn't have a problem with them. But this nurse? He knows
His little bottom lip pokes out a tiny bit, and he takes the "mommy don't let me near this lady" position. 

We talked to his ped about certain quirks he has... like not wanting toys in the bathtub (seriously, he throws them all out), crying when crowds clap in unison, his boredom with shape sorters and puzzles, not quite figuring out certain things (like climbing down stairs) yet, and not repeating many words. He reassured us that Noah is perfectly fine and on track. Here's the thing...
Noah is a big kid.
He's the size of an average 2 and 1/2 year old. People look at him and expect him to be doing more than he does. Talk more, interact more, play well with other kids, and just act older in general.
His doctor told us that this is pretty much going to follow him throughout his childhood.
He's a big kid, therefore people are going to assume things about him when he acts younger than he looks.
I can't tell you how many times people have asked us how old he is, only to be completely shocked that he's so young. Especially since he has such small parents.
But as for all of the age-appropriate developmental stuff? He's right on target.

So anyway...
As for the rest of the visit, Noah was reaching behind me for the windows, clawing at the blinds, trying to figure out how to get out of there. However, the doc did get a smile from him when he started turning the lights on and off. He only had to get one shot in his arm this time. And his ear infection is all gone.
Afterwards, we took him to Chick-Fil-A where he got to eat some waffle fries and ice cream.
Brad and I always agreed that we'd take our kids to get ice cream after they get shots. The place I went to when I was little always gave out free ice cream coupons to the kids who had a shot. It kinda gave you something to look forward to... to make it slightly worth the pain.
So we're doing that with Noah.

We're done for the next 6 months!
Yay!

3 comments:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

I totally get the tall kid bias!! Henry looks 4 and he's not talking yet. No one has ever said anything to me about him though. It's hard when your kids look MUCH older than they actually are.

Sassytimes said...

I totally understand the looking older than they are. My girls are both very big/tall. My 2 year old looks and talks like a 4 year old. People always tell me I'm wrong when I say she's 2. ...and my 11 month old is as tall as a normal 2 year old. We get looks a lot. ;)

Charbelle said...

I feel like I was just at his first birthday party!!! I was always thought to be older then I was all through out growing up, I guess it's just how it is when you're bigger then the other kids. You and Brad are doing a fantastic job!!! Noah is such a fabulous, sweet little boy!!!