Thursday, May 19, 2011

randoms

My house is rebelling against me, and I'm overwhelmed. It's in that lovely stage where things have to get worse before they get better. Dirty laundry in piles on the floor, waiting their turn to get washed; little plastic Target bags of trash, sitting by the door needing to be taken out; and half-finished projects sitting around, because I have a knack for trying to accomplish too many things at once.
So I'm blogging instead.

***

It's inventory week at Brad's store. Every year, he somehow gets named the Inventory Captain, which roughly translated means "we own your soul for the next 48 hours".


***

My husband has invited over a coworker and his family for dinner Saturday night. I love to entertain, so this is definitely not an issue. The issue?... my husband somehow thinks that we can invite people over for dinner, yet not buy any food to serve them. I mean, I'm pretty good at making a nice presentation, but there's only so much I can do with a box of Kashi cereal and some mac n cheese.

***

Our little Bible study's bake sale is tomorrow night. My sister's school is putting on a play, and we're the intermission food. Honestly? I have no flippin' clue how this is going to work itself out. I've been waiting for like two weeks to find out how many people are coming to this thing. So instead of continually pestering people, I'm just baking up a storm. Each mom girl is in charge of baking a few things. I'm not worried about the food, really. I'm concerned about pricing and labeling and setup and all that. But it'll all work itself out. I tend to like to take over things like this and do it all myself. But technically, this is my sister's thing. I'm here to help her, not hijack her plans.
The money we get will go directly to relief for Japan. This is what the girls wanted to raise money for, so that's what we're doing.

***

I have a new method for keeping myself away from sweets, which is pretty crucial since I'm surrounded by them at the moment. Before I take a bite of anything, this thought goes through my mind, "Would you rather be smokin' hot? Or eat a bowl of ice cream?" So far, it's worked. I've lost two pounds this week. Um... maybe I should mention how I'd gained them last week from eating said ice cream. Yeah. Forget that. It's not important.

***

Noah has this night time ritual of running around nakey before his bath. He has his own made-up-in-his-head race track, and we chase him around, occasionally pinching his dimply butt resulting in lots of giggles. We've been doing this for at least the last three to four months and never once has he had an accident. Until last night. Noah pooped on our floor. Thank goodness he hadn't had a massive fiber-filled day. It could've been bad.
I think I'll leave this bit of info out on Saturday with our dinner guests.

7 comments:

Jess said...

I usually go with "i'd rather eat this ice cream/cake/snickers bar". Man. Maybe that's my problem.

(OH WAIT. NO. It's because I've been pregnant for twelve thousand years.)

Charbelle said...

I am laughing at the inviting people over and having nothing to eat, because that is so a guy thing to do :) However, Daron is the cook so that means we'll always have food, whoohoo. Except for the whole would I rather eat this or looking smoking hot... hmmm Then there are the 10 tootsie rolls I ate today b/c I mistakenly believed I could buy the assortment bag and keep it at my uesk on a day I had the craving....
Those moments like last night with Noah go by too quickly, glad you captured that one on here for the memory!!!! Also glad it wasn't a fiber filled day and yes you can leave the story for the blog :)

Charbelle said...

desk, Jack Banner stepped on my keys when I was trying to type

The Life of Susan said...

just the word inventory sends chills up my spine. i worked for my parent's business for 7 years and inventory weekend was always the worst!

way to go on the 2lbs girl!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

I'm having friends over tonight and don't have food yet!! I need to sneak out of work early today so I can get to the grocery store before they show up at 6. errr...

My kids have both pooped on the floor and now in the tub. But you want to hear the most disgusting thing? Promise you will still be friends with me? Promise? OK.

A month ago our dog peed all over our bed and soaked our comforter. Since we have to take it to a laundry mat we just threw it in Henry's closet and forgot about it. His closet reeked but I thought it was dog pee. Yesterday I took it out to wash out and I noticed something disturbing. Henry had pooped in the comforter and it had dried up...No wonder the closet reeked! Needless to say I threw the comforter in the trash bin behind our condo. DISGUSTING. Do you still like me? Sorry for long comment!

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

You must think we are filthy people but if I knew Henry had pooped on that comforter I wouldn't threw it out a weeks ago! :-)

Dani In NC said...

Your method of avoiding sweets wouldn't work for me because the next thing I would think is "Being smoking hot will take at least a year of deprivation and hard work before I can enjoy it, whereas the ice cream will satisfy me NOW." That's why I don't understand how people motivate themselves with the saying "Looking good feels better than that candy bar tastes." That may be true but it takes a heck of a long time to get there :-).

My daughter's anime club is selling what I call penny candy (little Dum Dums, Laffy Taffy, and such) to their friends to raise money for Japan's disaster relief. Some people are critical and say that they should focus on disasters at home, but since this is a club that gathers to appreciate Japanese culture I think it is fitting.