It was a HUGE hit.
My little sister's school was putting on a production of the Wizard of Oz, and we were the intermission food. The school colors are blue and orange, in case you were wondering why it's so darn bright. Frankly, the contrast of the bright orange and blue against the pasty white walls kind of made my eyes hurt.
But at least we had school spirit.
My little sister's school was putting on a production of the Wizard of Oz, and we were the intermission food. The school colors are blue and orange, in case you were wondering why it's so darn bright. Frankly, the contrast of the bright orange and blue against the pasty white walls kind of made my eyes hurt.
But at least we had school spirit.
So yeah, it was definitely a success.
Nevermind that I spent like $60 in baking supplies, too much time in the kitchen, and not to mention the gas to get there. Brad actually asked me why didn't we just donate the money we spent on this stuff? Sure, that probably would've been easier. But that's not really the point.
Let's face it, our society isn't quite going above and beyond when it comes to raising our kids to be selfless and giving. I can't tell you how many teenagers I've heard asking their parents for fancy shoes or an iPad or some other ridiculously expensive thing. And while I believe these kids really are good hearted deep down, it's important that they experience
Serving. Selflessness. Generosity.
These kids need to spend a Friday night (when they could be at the movies with friends) working to raise money, not for themselves, but for others who literally have nothing left.
Sure, it would've been easier to ask mom for $10 to give to a charity.
But it means so much more when a kid works for something... for someone else.
And not because they feel like they have to. I promise, not I nor anyone else coaxed these girls into this.
This was their idea; what they wanted to do.
And when you've got kids who want to help and love others?
Priceless.
I don't know if what we made will make a massive difference, but I do know that these girls will be blessed for their energy and enthusiasm and desire to help give to people whom they've never even met.
And let me tell ya... they worked.
Not only did they bring baked goods (the majority of them making everything themselves), they were there early to set up. They stayed late to clean up. And poor little Skyler (my neice) who was all excited to tell us how she'd gotten a 4 in math on her EOG's...
she got nominated to handle the money.
Thankfully, she was a good sport and did a fantastic job.
I'm so proud of these girls.
And in case you were curious, we ended up making over $200.
We charged no more than $1 (most of it being $.50) for each item, and there were about 100-150 people in attendance. So I'd say we were pretty successful.
It definitely got the girls excited.
They want to do another fundraiser, and we're already coming up with ideas.
Also, if you're interested, I'm going to be featuring some of my favorite bake sale recipes this week on my foodie blog, including these easy-peasy treats...
And these Crispy Rice Cupcakes are already on there...
Hope everyone had a fabulous weekend!
***














3 comments:
You all look like you had a blast! And all those yummy goodies! Mmm!
I love it! I used to do things like this all the time with my youth group growing up. I loved it! And those little choco covered marshmallows are the cutest!
You're making me hungry! And I'm PMSing. Watch out! :-)
Post a Comment