Wednesday, June 15, 2011

eh... ya win some, ya lose some.

Lose Some:

#1. When we've been out and about during the first part of the day, as we're on our way home, Noah crashes in the car (not quite close enough to nap time, but the noise/motion of car puts him to sleep). Never fails... he always passes out about 10 minutes away from the house. When I transfer him to his crib? Wide awake. In his head, he thinks he slept a whole hour, at least. He recharged enough to stay awake for awhile. He refuses to sleep again for another hour, no matter how long I make him stay in there. It always throws his nap schedule off and drives me crazy. It doesn't happen every time, but it always happens after we've been to the pool. I figure the fun play time is worth the hassle later.

#2. Since Noah was able to eat solids, I've always signed and said, "finished" when he was all done eating. However, for some reason, he doesn't think he ought to tell me. Even when I ask him. Instead, he tosses any leftovers on the floor. Repeatedly throughout his meal? He throws his cup on the floor.

  

If I offer him something new (or even a food he hasn't had in awhile, and therefore doesn't remember that he likes it), he purses his lips and to the floor it goes. So annoying. Seriously, kid? Just tell me when you're done. I don't enjoy picking up PB&J off the floor. Also? I hate it when he acts like he's hungry, I make him something to eat, then he decides he doesn't want it.

#3. He won't let me read new books to him. He's stuck on a certain set of pre-approved books. When I try to read something new? He politely closes it, mid-sentence, and walks away. I can literally recite every word of Goodnight Moon, Katie the Kitten, Busy Timmy, If You Give a Pig a Pancake, and My First Counting Book (among others, but I won't list them all...). Every once in awhile, he'll surprise me and start browsing a different book. But if I try to read it to him? Nope. Done.

#4. He hates for anything to be sitting on the couch. This includes remotes, pillows, books, magazines... etc. I'll be downstairs fixing dinner, hear a big thud, and I realize I left the laptop lying on the sofa.

#5. On our walks, he has now decided that everyone's driveways are fun. He wants to run up and down them, mess with their garage doors, and walk around in their yards. It's making for an eventful nightly walk.

Win Some:

#1. For an almost two year old, he's a really good listener. Sure, he tests the limits sometimes, but more often than not, he obeys the first time without any fits. In fact, he's never actually had a real meltdown before. He gets cranky sometimes, but nothing more than that so far. It may change over time, but for now? I'm counting my blessings on this one. (from what we've been told, both Brad and I were really obedient, good-natured toddlers/kids... I'm hoping it's hereditary!)



#2. He likes to sing with me. He invented this song  that goes something like, "Eeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaahhhh!". He starts it and then looks for me to sing with him. We match each other's pitches and everything. Brad gets a kick out of it. :)

#3. He likes to count. He points and babbles as he goes along. Then he takes my hand and wants me to count for him. Pretty cute.

#4. Noah loooooves singing "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" in the tub. The water splashes, and he laughs hysterically as we sing faster. He also thinks "Jesus Loves Me" is SO fun to sing and sign. He giggles everytime we get to the "Yeeeeees, Jesus loves me...." part.

#5. He's still a cuddler. Sometimes he gets too busy for it, but for the most part, he likes to climb in our laps and be held. Especially right before bedtime.

(and one more for good measure)

#6. He never, ever cries when he falls down. Once on a walk, he ate some serious pavement. He had blood running down his knees, and it didn't even faze him. He got right back up and kept on running. A neighbor witnessed this the other day. I didn't realize the guy saw him, and when I looked up and noticed him, he called out, "Tough kid!" I actually make it a point not to freak when he falls. I always hold my breath (in an attempt to fight back a big gasp) and wait to see what he does. If he cries? I know hes's really hurt.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I just heard a remote getting slung across the room upstairs...

1 comment:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

He sounds like such a good boy. You will love looking back at this post 1 year from now to remember how Noah was and see how much he changes!