Thursday, June 16, 2011

little sickie and a new friend

I guess it was about time. Noah's never really had any stomach issues before, besides the gassy infant stuff, of course. The other night, I noticed he wasn't eating much and was acting a little cranky.
Yesterday morning, the poor thing woke up with an upset tummy. No throw-ups, just a few bad diapers. He hasn't had a fever, and other than being a little lethargic, he's pretty much himself. I'm not sure if he ate something bad (who knows what toddlers find and stick in their mouths when you're not looking...)? Or if it's just a bug. He finally ate a banana, some watermelon, and a few tortilla chips last night. He's been much better today, but he still hasn't eaten much. Mostly crackers.
Poor little thing.


He did feel well enough today to ask to go outside for a little bit. Since it wasn't blazing hot and there was some wind, I let him out for a few minutes. He ran around, played with some dirt, and checked out the wind chimes.


We made a new friend yesterday. Or maybe I should say the dogs did?
Our yard happens to attract any wandering neighborhood pets. Our dogs are cool with other animals, as long as they understand that Flash is in charge. If they don't get that? Heaven help them.

I should probably preface this with the fact that I'm not much of a "small dog person".

Don't get me wrong, I think they're incredibly cute. Their expressions and personalities make me laugh, and I totally understand why people love them. I've caught myself toying with the idea of getting one. But I've always liked having dogs that I can pet without fearing I might accidentally break a rib or something. My mom's side adopts Great Danes, and everyone in my family has always had bigger dogs. I've found that a lot of small dogs tend to be a tad hyper (especially terriers... they're meant to be that way though; they were bred to hunt small rodents, and they get bored easily if not being put to work). And they yap a lot. I like a dog that'll strike some fear into a robber. :)

Anyway, I like small dogs. So small dog lovers, don't hate me. I don't despise them or anything. I like them; I just prefer a big dog.

However...

This little guy?



He might've changed my mind.

Because, ohmygosh, he's the cutest little ratdog I've ever met.
He's got the sweetest personality and doesn't bark at every little leaf that blows by. He plays with the bigger dogs, follows us around, and is constantly flashing us a happy grin.
I don't know where he came from or who he belongs to, but they might want to watch out, because I'm on the verge of naming him and getting too attached. Brad is getting concerned, actually. (totally just kidding... I'm not in the dog stealing business)

I mean, look! He fits right in!



He's the perfect Noah-sized dog.


I'm sure his family wouldn't mind if we took him in. Naw, they wouldn't miss him at all!
I'm sure of it.


Except he wasn't too sure what to think of Brad...
I think he could sense the apprehension, the inner fear Brad was feeling while conjuring up images of walking an animal that was smaller than the neighbor's house cat, complete with pink doggie strollers and blingy outfits.
Brad's not much of a small dog person either.


I think I shall name him Taquito.
Or Kenickie.
Ralph?
Oh dear.
I may be in trouble.


***

(As I was ending this post, Noah woke up from his nap and had puked in his bed. Gross, I know. You're welcome. Anyway, he's totally acting like himself again. Happy, smiley, bouncy... is this normal? I would think if this was a bug, he'd feel bad, but he seems to be fine. How do I know? What if he's developed an allergy? Why does child-rearing have to be so confusing sometimes?)

4 comments:

team cowan said...

Sorry about the surprise throw up. You can never be prepared for that. Although when my boys have been acting queasy I've started putting towels over their pillows and sheets before putting them to bed. Because there's nothing worse than having to change all the sheets and pillows in the middle of the night when most of the time they're just ready to go back to sleep ASAP.
With him acting normal again - sometimes they just have to get it out of their systems and then they feel better again. But kids that little can be hard to read sometimes and they could be acting totally normally and then puke all over the place again. I'd say to stick with the BRATY diet for 24 hours just to be safe.

Ben and Sara said...

Poor little guy! I hope it's just a short one-time throw up thing. I know my kids would act normal and fine in between throwing up so it can be kind of tricky. But I agree w/ the previous comment we put towels down, its so much easier and quicker to clean up especially in the middle of the night. Just make sure he drinks enough liquids so he doesn't get dehydrated from throwing up. Colton got dehydrated once b/c he couldn't keep anything down and he had to spend two nights in the hospital.

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

My kids have both had the flu and puked repeatedly. They usually feel better after throwing up and if he's acting normal I wouldn't be concerned.

We have a Boston terrier and he is so hyper. Thankfully he's good with the kids or we'd have to get rid of him!

That doggie is SO CUTE!

Laurin said...

I'm a big dog lover too. There's just something about a big dog... Plus, they don't need a lot of exercise. After one jog around the block with my big Bullmastiff, he was pooped.
Sorry to hear your little guy is sick! I hope that he's on the mend soon.