I know I've said that before (haven't we all...), but this time, I'm doing something I've never done. I've taken up running.
And I am SO NOT a runner.
I have like zero endurance. I love to sprint, but running? No way. I've always hated running. When I was a kid, I was always one of the last kids to finish the mile run (remember those physical fitness tests?). And it had nothing to do with weight or my lack of exercise. At home, I was always outside playing. I rode horses. We played "capture the flag" and all those other active games at recess. I just sucked at running for a long period of time. In high school, we actually had a PE teacher who was smart enough to know how to train us, so I did much better at running then. But I still never liked it. It was always a chore for me. My chest would hurt, my mouth would get all weird feeling, and most of all, it was boooooring.
This is why I've always walked. Granted, the pace I walk at is about the same speed as a slow jog. But still. Running for me? Blech.
And then I read Kelle Hampton's post earlier this week. She has recently taken up running, just for the heck of it. When she first wrote about it, I was all, "Eh. Good for her. Let's move on, shall we..." But then I read this:
"It feels good to be running again. I don't run fast or competitively; I run freely and with great thought. I run not to lose weight or get fit but because pushing myself, breathing deeply, hitting the pavement to the beat of a good song makes me happy."
Hear that? She doesn't run to lose weight or because she has to. She runs because it makes her happy. Anyone remember the Friends episode where Pheobe and Rachel started running, and Rachel was embarrassed to be seen with her, because she ran weird? Pheobe explained that she ran that way because it was FUN.
So I figured, why not? Why not try and run just because it'll be fun. So I got my ipod all set up with some fun workout songs, then Brad, Madison, Noah, and I all went to the elementary school down the road (they have a good track, a field for Brad to hit golf balls, and a playground for Noah).
I cranked up the music and went for it. And you'll never believe it. I ran for 2 miles. The girl that does.not.run. ran for 2 miles! And it was actually fun!
Since Sunday, I've done P90x yoga, P90x cardio, P90x Kempo, and ran 4 miles. I've given up eating the junk food. Lots of fruit and salads and Kashi cereal. But because I'm still human (and a total chocoholic), I got myself some Nature Valley dark chocolate granola bars. They totally hit the craving without making me feel sick later.


4 comments:
Good for you! Keep it up! I love running because I can clear my mind and it gives me a lot of time to just think. I'm working on losing the pre-'3 babies' weight too.
Yay! I run for fun too. It's MY time. I don't run fast. That would cut into my "ME" time. But I run. And damn, it feels niiiiiiiiice! Keep it up!
That's wonderful, congratulations!!! It's a unique feeling of accomplishment!!
There's a 4 miler race on July 16 in Dilworth if you want to join me and my friend Nicole just let me know. If not that one there is the Panthers 5K in August and the Hit the Brixx 5 or 10K in September.
I love this post! I just started running 6 weeks ago. It was a rough start and I didn't enjoy it but I kinda am now. I do exercise to lose weight but I do a mix of things so I don't get bored. And i do it because I love to eat. I'm not much of a dieter.
Post a Comment